Sorority hosting 5k to benefit arthritis charity

Alpha Omicron Pi sorority is hosting the 6th annual Run for Roses 5k on Saturday, March 2., supporting their national philanthropy, The Arthritis Foundation.

“It is important for us to provide our community with a way to learn more about arthritis,” Maegan Gundy, philanthropy chair of Alpha Omicron Pi, said.

Gundy said Alpha Omicron Pi is expecting about 500 people to show up. The cost is $10, which includes post-race food and the 5K walk/run. McAlister’s deli and other food and refreshments will be available to all participants. There will also be a live band.

T-shirts will be sold separately for $15. Registration will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Alpha Omicron Pi house, and the race will start at 2:00 p.m. All proceeds will benefit the Arthritis Foundation.

According to Alpha Omicron Pi’s website, arthritis is the leading cause for other diseases. In Alabama, one in three people will be diagnosed, and there is no known cure.

The national chapters of Alpha Omicron Pi have helped to raise more than $1 million to help researchers find a cure.

Gundy said the event is especially important for the chapter because some Alpha Omicron Pi members suffer from arthritis.

“Run for Roses 5k is an important event for [Alpha Omicron Pi] because it is a major awareness event for arthritis,” Gundy said. “We have several sisters who are diagnosed as well as some of their family members.”

Gundy said Alpha Omicron Pi also holds a Backyard Bash benefitting The Arthritis Foundation in the fall at the house before a home football game where guests enjoy food and music before kickoff.

To learn more, contact Gundy at [email protected].

Professors wary of sharing social media with students

Third annual AMLC comes to Ferguson

Despite talk of retirement, longtime UA faculty member stays