Saying ‘no’ sometimes crucial to cut down on stress

The life of a college student can be summed up to early mornings, late nights, deadlines, papers and endless hours of classes. We sprint from class to class, where we have presentations and group projects that must be finished. We take tests and quizzes and listen to lectures on a daily basis and some of us find it hard to keep our heads above water.

All these variables add up one thing: lots and lots of stress. I thought I knew stress in high school, but since stepping foot on the campus of this great university I now understand the true meaning of stress. It is that feeling that failure is right behind you, the urgency to get things accomplished so other things can be accomplished. It is sacrificing one thing for another and promising to return back to it afterward.

Stress is having the planner on your phone booked for two weeks straight and completely getting rid of any time for sleep – that was the first thing to go on your list of sacrifices. Stress has become a daily part of my college life and I am pretty sure I am not alone in this cry for help.

The traditional methods of handling stress have been told to us before: exercise, eat right and sleep. But there is just not enough time in the day for all of that, and we as bustling college students do not have the time to spare. It has also been suggested that we take a moment of silence during the day. However, if there is barely enough time in the day for just a little rest, a moment of silence is not going to happen.

We all have priorities and sometimes our lives are not as interchangeable as we would like. It might all come down to time management skills, but the most organized person cannot fight the heavy burden that stress lays upon them.

All this being said, there are unconventional methods of reliving the stress of the average college student that are worth examining. It is time that we take control of our schedules, by simply using the word NO. I have had to face the fact that I am not Superwoman; I cannot do everything for everybody. Some things must come before others and those around me will just have to accept that. There is a lot of power in the word no; we just sometimes forget to use it. Secondly, I find it helpful to just go outside, scream and let it all out.

Lastly, it is important to just breathe and realize life could be so much worse. If you are not going to die at the end of it all, it cannot be that bad. We have already had four years of college to stress us out. Just think about the stress that a career is going to bring and count your blessings. Also, remember to breathe.

Amber Patterson is a sophomore majoring in public relations. Her column runs weekly on Wednesdays.

Drish house signifies historical architecture

Chipotle to open restaurant on the Strip

IT desk helps students with tech problems