Freshman Advisor position the right step forward for UA

Some of my most memorable experiences in college occurred while living in Blount Hall my freshman year. Beyond the normal antics every student seems to share, I still distinctly remember the help I received from older members in Blount. From giving me practical advice to connecting me with campus organizations, they built the foundation for my freshman experience.

After living on campus for three years, I have seen residents who have been helped in all aspects of college through student mentors.

However, these mentors are not always easily found, particularly if freshmen come to campus without knowing anyone. The growth of this campus has presented new challenges for the University in ensuring the freshman class has the resources to connect to campus.

Given this growth and the influx of out-of-state students who are not connected, the need for more focus on freshmen is critical. While events and programs already in place at the beginning of the year are very effective, a sustained effort is required.

Housing has the potential to fill this need and play a critical front-line role in helping these incoming students. Their employees work with almost every freshmen at UA and see them on a regular basis. However, this potential is often unfound, due to issues with outreach. By creating the Freshman Advisor position, housing has taken a great step toward connecting with these freshmen.

The position’s major responsibilities are simple: build community in residence halls, help freshmen, and connect residents to campus.

The group that would be helped most is non-honors students. The Honors College has done a fantastic job of bringing campus to its students and making them aware of opportunities; however, this is a luxury that is not always been effectively extended to the larger campus.

As someone who has lived in both traditional and honors housing, I have seen the difference in outreach. Beyond Get On Board Day, an admittedly incredible event for campuswide involvement, few other outreach opportunities exist.

It can be difficult for an incoming, non-honors freshman to know where to start looking ways to get plugged into campus. With dedicated Freshman Advisors, greater outreach efforts to close this involvement gap can be made.

Still, these benefits are not limited to non-honors students. Because Ridgecrest is being converted into a true Living-Learning Community for Honors College students, these advisors can also play a key role in honors housing by aiding in the development of community.

Yes, housing is ideally placed to help the freshman class. And the new Freshman Advisor position will help this potential be realized. The practical knowledge that these advisors hold will be invaluable to incoming students. I believe this position will be one of the greatest improvements at the Capstone next year.

John Brinkerhoff is the Opinion Editor of The Crimson White. His column runs weekly on Mondays.

Frozen Tide to move on to national tournament after defeating South Carolina, Arkansas

Tide drops road match at Clemson, 5-2

[Guest Column] Gender-based acts of violence are the problem, not false reporting of crime