Senate introduces executive members

Thursday night’s SGA senate meeting served as a ceremony to approve and inaugurate executive appointments while also acting as a time to introduce the first resolutions under a new legislative body.

SGA President James Fowler opened the meeting by describing his vision for a culturally transformed student government that involves both communication and collaboration between all three branches.

“While the separation of powers will be maintained at all times, I hope to see senators effectively working on projects with the oversight of the executive branch,” Fowler said. “By working together on the same page, our SGA can achieve and maintain a transparent, inclusive and accountable student government.”

Fowler emphasized that the changes he wishes to incorporate must acknowledge the thoughts and concerns of every student on campus in order to truly be successful. In addition, Fowler stated that his door is always open to address questions and concerns and then proceeded to introduce the staff that he has nominated to assist him in his vision for an accessible and open administration.

The officials sworn into office after Senate approval included Meg McCrummen as chief of staff, Zack Coppens as director of administration, Katie Breaseale as press secretary, Ryan Sprinkle as attorney general, Peyton Falkenburg as deputy chief of staff, Ben Hodges as webmaster for the SGA Web site, Mark David Kennedy as treasurer, Jesse Blount as chief implementation officer, Stanley Phillips as director of engagement and Ian Sams as director of communications.

Nicole Bohannon, executive vice president, appointed David Wilson president pro tempore of the senate and Jonathan Rummel was unanimously elected by his peers to serve as secretary.

As the senate transitioned to official business, several pieces of legislation were introduced, including a proposal authored by Rummel to congratulate the University’s women’s wheelchair basketball team on their recent national championship.

Another resolution, written by Senator Ryan Flamerich, encouraged the construction of a back entrance to Lakeside Dining Hall.

“Paul B. Marcaurelle, the director of Bama Dining, and A.J. Defalco, the resident district manager, have agreed to convert one of the emergency exits on the lower level into an entrance opening onto Lake Palmer,” Flamerich said. “This door will impact residents of the surrounding communities who currently have to walk around the entire building to enter or exit. The new door will be open this fall.”

The meeting closed with Senator Olivia Hanceri reading the formal amendments to the SGA Code of Laws, which recently passed. The amendments were designed to formally bring the Code of Laws up to speed with Fowler’s executive appointments.

“We are excited for an efficient, successful year in senate,” Bohannon said.