Sophomore Nick Jacobs propels Tide with interior play

When sophomore forward Nick Jacobs is filling up the stat sheet, the Alabama men’s basketball team reaps the benefit.

In 19 minutes versus LSU, Jacobs was able to lead Alabama with 15 points off the bench in a 60-57 victory over the Tigers on Saturday Feb. 9 in Coleman Coliseum.

Jacobs wasn’t even on the floor for an entire half, but he was able to help boost the Tide with his solid interior play. He also snatched five rebounds and blocked three shots.

Head coach Anthony Grant said Jacobs’ understanding of how to slow down LSU’s success inside was the key in Alabama’s win.

“I thought Nick was huge, especially in the second half, with the ability to go to the line, to step up there and make his free throws down the stretch,” Grant said. “It was great to see Nick come in there and continue to battle like he did. I thought he came up with two huge rebounds down the stretch that we had to have. I was really proud of his effort. When he brings that type of energy and focus, we’re a much better team.”

In a game where the Tide struggled from the free-throw line, completing only 60.6 percent (20-33) of its attempts, Jacobs knocked down 87.5 percent (7-8) of his free throws and converted them when his teammates couldn’t in the final minutes of the game.

Since conference play began, Jacobs has posted double-digit points four times (Mississippi State, Kentucky, Arkansas and LSU). Alabama won all four of those games. The only exception came earlier in the season against Tulane.

He is only averaging 6.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game this season, but Jacobs has been coming off the bench to spell junior center Moussa Gueye.

However, Jacobs’ ability to penetrate in the paint and score with his favorite hook shot gives the Tide a change of pace from the usual jumpers that the guards put up as the shot clock expires.

Junior guard Trevor Releford said Jacobs’ performance against LSU was the reason it didn’t hand the Tigers the win after leading for the majority of the game.

“Nick Jacobs was huge tonight,” Releford said. “He had some tough rebounds, made his free throws at the line. When Nick Jacobs plays like that, we’re a tough team to beat.”

If Jacobs can consistently give Alabama a post presence offensively and defensively, the Tide will be hard to beat as the regular season comes to a close.

Graduate art student’s art evokes echoes visually

Four Alabama players arrested Monday

Wussy’s album ‘Popular Favorites’ a solid, free sample of independent rock