Softball home opener against South Alabama cancelled for expected inclement weather

The Alabama softball team’s home opener against South Alabama, scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 12, has been cancelled due to expected inclement weather and wet field conditions. A makeup date has not been determined.

The Crimson Tide opened its season by winning the UNI-Dome Classic in Cedar Falls, Iowa this past weekend. The Tide earned five wins on the opening weekend. Alabama outscored its opponents, 43-12, scoring eight or more runs in four of the five games.

Alabama will now continue tournament play on the road as it will head to Fort Myers, Fla., to participate in the FGCU/La Quinta Inn and Suites Tournament. The Alabama team will open play in Florida against Appalachian State on Friday, Feb. 15.

Haylie McCleney named the SEC Softball Freshman of the Week

Alabama outfielder Haylie McCleney (Morris, Ala.) was named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week, the league office announced Monday. McCleney helped lead the Crimson Tide to an undefeated 5-0 record at the UNI-Dome Classic this past weekend.

McCleney put together one of the best opening weekends in Tide history. In her first collegiate action, McCleney batted .722 (13-for-18) with nine runs, four RBI, two doubles, a triple, two home runs, two walks and five stolen bases.

She reached base three or more times in each contest and had three hits in four of the five games. She also scored at least one run every game and stole one base or more in four of the games on top of playing stellar defense.

In the win against Drake, the rookie batted 3-for-4, with an inside the park home run, a triple, scored twice and drove in two. Against NDSU, McCleney went 3-for-3, scored three runs, hit a double and a home run, and stole a base.

Thomas prepares to begin his sophomore season

Tax season gives accounting students chance for real-world experience

‘Vloggers’ on YouTube making names for themselves