Cuts to aid could keep students from graduation, alternatives should be considered

We all know that we are here at The University of Alabama to receive a good education. Still, some of us will be under a mountain of debt before we even pay our first cable bill. It is pretty clear to us that education is not cheap. The price of education was a source of great debate during the past presidential election and now during the discussion of the fiscal cliff.

Nerdwallet.com reports that 85 percent of students receiving financial aid are concerned about the possible impact of budget cuts to their aid. The impending budget cuts would reduce the number of students that receive work study, grants and even college prep education.

In this land of opportunity that holds education to such a high standard, it is hard to believe that funding cuts are even up for discussion. Cutting financial aid at all is taking away from a good investment that our country has made. It is close to impossible to receive a job without a degree, at least an associate degree.

Nerdwallet.com took a survey measuring what students would do if financial aid suffered a severe cut due to the fiscal cliff; most responded they would drop out before asking their family for money. This reality is simply unacceptable. Without these future students entering the work force in their respected fields, there will be a significant economic impact.

Many political representatives think that students should turn to families for financial support if getting an education becomes too costly; however, I refuse to believe they would be this naive. It simply is not possible for many families. When we enter college, we establish a stance of independence – I have a hard time asking my parents for money to get through the weekend. I definitely would not ask for thousands of dollars. There is also the fact that most students’ parents do not have extra tuition money just sitting in the bank.

It would not make sense to say that no budget cuts need to take place. It is no secret that our nation is in debt, so a solution must be reached. Instead of cutting education funding, the government must examine the amount of money that goes into defense. An excessive amount of money is allocated to defense that could be cut to preserve financial aid for students. It would be great to fund the mind that could find peaceful solutions between countries, as opposed to funneling money into weapons and machines that cause more harm than good. Protecting the country is important, but it should not have an untouchable budget.

Affordable education has gained a new value since it has been brought to the forefront in recent months. When something is threatened to be taken away, all things come into perspective. Education is already costly but has a priceless value and should not be on the chopping block

Amber Patterson is a sophomore majoring in marketing and public relations.