Theatre Tuscaloosa presents ‘Ain’t Misbehavin’

Theatre Tuscaloosa presents Aint Misbehavin

Theatre Tuscaloosa will be paying tribute to the Harlem Renaissance and one of the era’s most famous musicians, Thomas “Fats” Waller, with their new musical production, “Ain’t Misbehavin’” on Feb. 8-17.

Theatre Tuscaloosa last performed this play in 1999, and this will be director and executive producer Tina Turley’s first time directing the show.

“This show celebrates the joy that music can bring through the eyes of Fats Waller,” Turley said.

“Ain’t Misbehavin’” is one of the genre-varying shows in Theatre Tuscaloosa’s 2012-2013 season titled “Rockin’ and Rollin’ in the Aisles.”

“I like to have diversity in our programming,” Turley said. “Musicals, reviews, comedies, dramas, classic pieces.”

(See also [Photos] “Ain’t Misbehavin’ Rehearsal”)

Turley gives credit for the idea of the show to technical director Wheeler Kincaid.

“[He] mentioned that this is one of his favorite shows, and that based on local talent, we should think about doing it,” Turley said.

The cast and crew have been working on this show for the past few weeks.

“We’ve been rehearsing the show a little less than four weeks,” Turley said. “We rehearse three hours a night, six nights a week.”

Several University of Alabama students are part of this production. Nick Burroughs, a junior majoring in musical theatre, choreographed the show. Two of the five cast members are also UA students: Alyssa Grubbs, a junior majoring in musical theater and restaurant management, and Will Travis, a junior majoring in musical theatre.

Travis said the music and history behind the play inspired him to perform in it.

“The music is timeless,” he said. “I had been a huge fan of [Waller’s] music before I even knew we were doing the play.”

The show, part of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Realizing the Dream series, also looks into African-American history.

“I feel like it’s important for African-Americans to celebrate history of what was a tough time,” Travis said. “In the ’20s, they didn’t have many opportunities to see a composer to take his own turn on music. It is really inspiring for me.”

The audiences of this show are set to see a lively performance with different musical styles including blues, swing, stride, ballad and scat.

“I think the audience will enjoy that all five of us are having the time of our lives and living in the moment on the stage,” Travis said. “It’s great choreography as well. Nick Burroughs did an amazing job.”

Turley said she expects to make an impression on the audience.

“I can’t wait to share this show with our audiences,” Turley said. “They are going to go crazy and be stunned and amazed at the talent both on and off the stage.”

“Ain’t Misbehavin’” will run Feb. 8-17 in the Bean-Brown Theatre at Shelton State Community College. Performances taking place Thursdays-Saturdays will begin at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and Sunday performances will begin at 2 p.m. Tickets costs $14 for students and children, $16 for senior citizens and $22 for adults. They can be purchased at theatretusc.com. For more information, call (205) 391-2277.

Tide looks to continue SEC success in Auburn

Mentors, mentees both grow during experience

Environmental Council funds projects