Respecting the shifting gender roles, bringing women into combat

WaidWhile driving to class the other day, I heard an interesting conversation on the radio. It was comprised of two questions. First, what were the listeners’ thoughts on women leaving the house without makeup? Second, what were the listeners’ thoughts on the lifting of the ban on women in combat?

I found it very interesting that these two questions were asked together. They could not have seemed more opposite at first. Eye shadow or camouflage. Mascara wands or war weapons. But as I continued to listen to the responses of the people calling in, I realized that both questions dealt with the typical American ideals, or to some, stereotypes.

Some women called in saying that they would never dare to leave the house without wearing makeup. They said they personally felt more confident when they wore it or that they even felt naked without it.

For some women, wearing makeup was a decision they made for themselves. Others said they wore makeup because they wanted to present themselves in way that caused others to view them in a certain way, whether that be a colleague seeing them as prepared and put together or a significant other to see them as beautiful. Another asked, “What is eyeliner?”

Then as people addressed the question of women in combat, the spectrum of responses was just as broad. Some women questioned the ability of other women fighting in combat, looking at themselves and claiming that they did not have the same physicality of men. Other women were ecstatic about the increase in opportunities and move toward equality for women in war.

But the most interesting call-in was from a woman who had an insider’s view. As a member of the U.S. armed services, she offered a view that most Americans are not able to see from the outside. She expressed excitement for both herself and other women around her.

When the radio DJ asked her if there were any negative opinions of this from the men in the service around her, her immediate answer was no. She acknowledged there would be some negativity from many men and women, both involved in and outside of military services. And one of the popular arguments is the issue of sexual relationships or rape risks in combining genders in the combat unit.

Instead, she claimed that the main problem she had heard of was one of familial ties rather than sexual tension. She described the bond of men and women in the armed services as one between brothers and sisters, and that with the ban lifted that allowed women to fight in direct combat roles, the men were concerned about the safety of their military sisters.

(See also in Opinion “Of course women should be allowed in combat”)

It is expected of brothers to protect their sisters. Of men to protect women. And the opportunity for women to fight in combat roles introduces a new question for men in how they can protect those women.

As the conversation bounced back and forth between makeup and combat, between something trivial versus something life threatening, the American ideals and stereotypes seemed to remain the same. The typical American ideal woman is one that is gentle and feminine, in both her actions and her looks. The typical American ideal man is one that is brave and protective, in both his actions and his treatment of others.

But as the stereotypical lines of femininity become blurred, with women trading in mascara wands for combat weapons, the stereotypical roles of masculinity begin to change as well. Nevertheless, I believe that the greatest quality of both men and women is confidence. Combat or no combat. Makeup or no makeup. We should respect the men and women who are confident, willing and able to fight for our country in combat.

Hannah Waid is a junior majoring in English. Her column runs biweekly.

Also in today’s Crimson White:

[Opinion] Law-abiding students should be able to bear arms

Life of a pageant queen full of responsibilities

Facebook friends leave real life requests pending