Polar Plunge includes dip in cold water, hot drinks and ice sculpture

Thrill-seekers can chill out this weekend by submerging themselves in the 48-degree water of the outdoor Rec Center pool at the Polar Plunge on Feb. 3.

Registration for the free event begins at 1 p.m., and students will be given two opportunities to make the plunge either at 1:15 p.m. or at 2:30 p.m. There will also be a luge competition at each of those times, where students will be timed to find who is the fastest down the water slides.

“The weather outside may not be freezing, but the water is going to be close to it,” Walter Kolis, aquatics operations coordinator, said. “Last time, the pool was 48-degrees, and we expect the same this year. You’ll love the sun rays when you get out.”

Kolis said students should also come out to watch Capstone Village Executive Chef Tom Hadden create an ice sculpture on the pool deck.

After the ice sculpture demonstration at 1:30 p.m., students will compete for the best costume at 2:15 p.m.

(See also “Students dive for Red Cross charity”)

Free hot chocolate will be available for all in attendance, and there will be a limited number of free Polar Plunge mugs, but participants should bring their own towels. Students can warm up after the icy exposure in heated showers and dressing rooms.

The Rec Center also held a Polar Plunge in 2011.

“We had good numbers then but expect more this time around,” Shane Reeves, aquatics programs coordinator, said. “We hope for 50 to 100 participants.”

The idea for the plunge came from a former graduate assistant.

“She is from New York, so they do them a lot up there,” Reeves said. “It is something fun and different for students who grew up in the South. And for those that are from northern states, maybe it will remind them of home.”

This event is not for a special cause, but it just for fun, Reeves said.

“We wanted to try and build the event before doing something like [raising funds or awareness for a cause],” he said.

Also in today’s Crimson White:

Rec Center offering deals for spring break preparations

Group to host 2 pastors turned nonbelievers

SportsCenter anchor and UA alum, Rece Davis to speak in Ferguson Center Theatre