Endorsement value questioned

Bradley Byrne, Republican candidate for governor of Alabama, recently picked up the endorsement of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush while on a campaign stop in Birmingham.

Bush, brother of former President George W. Bush and governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007, said Byrne was the conservative reformer in the race for governor of Alabama.

“Bradley will work hard to reform government and improve the quality of education so Alabama can create a business climate that will attract investment and high-wage jobs to the state,” Bush said.

Now more than ever, as the gubernatorial race heats up, candidates such as Byrne will be receiving endorsements from both state and national organizations and individuals. However, some may question the relevance of an endorsement by out-of-state figures such as Jeb Bush.

David Ferguson, campaign manager for Republican gubernatorial candidate Robert Bentley, said although a high-profile endorsement can help a campaign, he would rather have someone in the state endorse his candidate.

“An endorsement like that is good for fundraising, but for the everyday voter, it really doesn’t have a big effect,” Ferguson said. “[Bentley] has been endorsed by 33 organizations across the state that are engaged and involved in the Alabama politics; I think that is much more important to a campaign.”

Brett Hall, communications director for Republican gubernatorial candidate Tim James, said that an out-of-state, big name endorsement could be beneficial to a campaign. The James campaign co-sponsored the appearance of former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s father and brother at a Birmingham rally Thursday.

“It’s always good to get a high-profile endorsement,” Hall said. “But you have to make sure that they fit the times and play a significant role with what is taking place in Alabama. I honestly don’t know whether or not the Jeb Bush endorsement carries a significant weight for this election.”

All campaigns use endorsements in different ways, whether it is to raise money from a target audience or create crowd appeal and a buzz for their campaign. Regardless of how a certain campaign chooses to use their endorsements, endorsements will continue to be made until a governor is crowned in early November.

Bill Stewart, UA professor emeritus in political science, said that national attention generally has not affected the Alabama governor’s race since the days of George Wallace.

“I think generally candidates would not like for voters to think that outsiders are trying to influence their votes here in Alabama,” Stewart said. “I don’t think Jeb Bush’s endorsement of Bradley Byrne is of long-term significance. It did help him attract people with big bucks to contribute at a fundraiser recently, one that I’m aware of, but there may have been others or more in the future. I don’t think average voters are swayed by these endorsements.”

Stewart said that, depending on the results of the Democratic primary, more national endorsements could be headed to Alabama.

“I think Artur Davis is the first serious African-American candidate, and he will attract somewhat more attention if he wins the Democratic nomination on June 1,” Stewart said.