ISA to host open Welcome Party to introduce organization, plans

The International Students Association is hosting a Welcome Party open to all students on Tuesday, Jan. 29, at 7 p.m. in Room 241 of B.B. Comer Hall.

The purpose of the Welcome Party is to introduce the organization and their plans for the semester, Shashank Wattal, president of ISA, said.

“[Students will have] an opportunity to interact with the officers and other students in a fun setting,” Wattal said. “We’ll have refreshments, drinks and music in various languages, and people are welcome to bring their friends, favorite games, music or snacks. We’re also inviting representatives from various organizations (including Crossroads, the Mallet Assembly, French Club and German Club) to give them an opportunity to very briefly introduce themselves and network with each other.”

Wattal said ISA represents the international student body on campus and works to promote international involvement and cultural awareness within and outside of the international community.

“Generally we organize social, culturally oriented events (like International Food Tastings, Cultural Showcases) to cater to the UA community as a whole, and smaller social events (like Welcome Parties) to cater specifically to the international community,” Wattal said. “A less formal aspect is addressing international students’ concerns personally and assisting with their transition to UA.”

Andrew Word, a liaison officer of ISA, said the group has been around since at least 1992.

“ISA is an organization that aims to provide a social outlet for students of all backgrounds to make friends and be a part of the UA community,” Word said. “We try to achieve this [social atmosphere] by hosting various social events and collaborating with like-minded organizations on campus.”

All UA students are eligible for membership, Wattal said.

“Domestic students often get discouraged by the name, but ISA is not only for international students,” Wattal said. “To be a member, you need to send us your basic information and pay the $10 dues.”

The ISA holds weekly meetings every Tuesday from 7 to 8 p.m., Josh Gresham, a liaison officer of ISA, said.

“We are working hard this semester to become a much more active organization and to be a great, friendly community for like-minded people across campus to come together,” Gresham said. “We don’t require any kind of time commitment; you just come to the meeting if you can or want to. We hope for a large crowd at the Welcome Party. It’ll be worth it!”