Attorney general speaks at UA

Alabama Attorney General Troy King spoke to about 30 UA students and staff members Tuesday in an event hosted by the College Republicans.

King began by introducing himself to all those in attendance before addressing issues such as child pornography and the new health care reform law.

“[Attorneys general] involvement in challenging the health care vote began when Sen. Ben Nelson announced that they bought his vote,” King said. “Several attorneys general stood up to challenge the process by which it became law. We think we ought to pass a bill because it’s good, not because it’s bought.

“If we’re wrong, you better hold onto your wallet. [Barack] Obama ran on the premise of ‘change.’ Well, they’re will be change all right – change left in our pockets when they’re through picking them. Everything will become taxable.”

King then spoke about the state’s bingo laws and Gov. Bob Riley’s anti-gambling task force, which has raided bingo halls across the state.

“The governor says that I’m wrong, that you can’t enforce the law in one place and not another,” King said. “But we do enforce the law, and it does change from city to city. In 1910, the law simply said lotteries are illegal. But now, in 2010, there are 17 constitutional amendments that allow bingo to be played in certain areas of the state.”

King continued, saying Riley’s way of running the state is reckless and irresponsible.

“There are right ways to address this and there are wrong ways to address this,” King said. “The rules have to be followed, and that’s not happening right now. It is my job to protect the people of Alabama.”

Two weeks ago, three candidates for attorney general faced off in a forum at the University. King was absent from the debate, and told those in attendance Tuesday he simply couldn’t make it.

“I wish there were three of me,” King said. “I wish I could be at every event, but I simply can’t do it. I probably have the busiest public schedule of any candidate, but I have never walked away from anybody.”

West Honeycutt, state deputy chairman of College Republicans, said King was an eloquent speaker who obviously cares about his constituents, but that he took issue with the fact that King wouldn’t answer the tough questions.

“When asked about bingo, his answer was theatric,” Honeycutt said. “He used props and gave no meat to his answers. When asked about his absence in the debate, he only answered that he couldn’t be three places at once. We’re still left wondering what other two places he had to be.”

Charlotte Brown, a sophomore majoring in marketing, said that she was glad King came to the University to talk to the College Republicans.

“He told some great stories in an effort to skirt the real issues and facts,” Brown said. “But, it was still great for him to come out and talk to us. I really enjoyed hearing him speak.”