UA to renovate ten Hoor Hall

UA to renovate ten Hoor Hall

Reconstruction in ten Hoor Hall has relocated students and academic departments this semester while The University of Alabama updates the building and addresses an asbestos presence in some of the flooring.

“There is asbestos present in some of the flooring being removed,” Tim Leopard, assistant vice president of construction said. “Ten Hoor is absolutely safe – the work is being done in compliance with all standards and in accordance with [Alabama Department of Environmental Management] requirements and permits.”

Leopard said renovations include putting in new windows, air conditioning system and fire alarms, finishing upgrades, and accessing improvements; it will bring the building up to current standards and improve the teaching and learning environment.

The American studies and anthropology departments have moved their faculty offices to the Capstone Medical Center for the semester. Despite this, most of their classes are taught in buildings near the Quad, so students can get to and from class easily.

“The faculty offices being moved really makes you feel ostracized from the department, but improvement in ten Hoor is welcome,” Malia Bunt, a senior majoring in anthropology, said.

Lynne Adrian, chair of the American studies department, said she is working to prevent students from feeling disconnected.

“We’re all a little concerned about missing students,” Adrian said. “So much of what the department needs to do is be in contact with students. If they can’t find us, it’s hard for us to do that. We’re just trying to get the message out that we really are still here. We really want to talk to students. Teachers are making an extra effort to talk with students before and after class, or making arrangements to get coffee on campus. They’re coming up with creative ways to get in contact, so students don’t get OVERSET FOLLOWS:lost, but it’s hard.”

However, Bunt said she dislikes the relocation for another reason. The faculty offices were not originally intended for academic uses.

“If you’re a freshman trying to declare a major, you see a sink where a doctor used to wash his hands,” Bunt said. “They’re in all the faculty offices, so you can’t get away from the creepiness.”

Other departments with offices and classrooms in ten Hoor have also moved classes to different buildings. However, Keikhosrow Moshiri, a junior majoring in philosophy, said he does not mind the change of scenery.

“I’d rather have my classes here in Lloyd because it’s easier to get to, and ten Hoor smells unpleasant,” Moshiri said.

Although there were some difficulties, the renovations were well received by some of the affected departments.

“Certainly we’re glad they’re renovating ten Hoor – it needs it. We’re sorry to have to go through the work of moving, but we knew it was time for ten Hoor to get some renovations,” Adrian said.