Football’s over, but spring sports keep UA cheering

Another football season has come and gone, and the Alabama Crimson Tide is once again on top of it. But while Saturday’s parade marked the culmination of another historic football season, it also marked its end.

Still, just because football is over doesn’t mean you don’t have any teams left to root for. Before you become a sports recluse until the next A-Day, take a look at these teams who have a whole lot to fight for in the spring semester.

Men’s Basketball

Is this the year head coach Anthony Grant finally takes Alabama to the promised land? After steady improvement over his tenure at Alabama, Grant has put together a team that may at least get its foot in the front door at the NCAA Tournament with strong players such as Levi Randolph, Trevor Lacy and Trevor Releford. And once you get in, there’s no telling what could happen. In the meantime, big games against Florida and Ole Miss, among others, should make for great games. Look for this team to provide some serious excitement as the year wears on.

Gymnastics

For those of you who don’t know, Nick Saban isn’t the only one who can boast back-to-back national championships at Alabama. Gymnastics head coach Sarah Patterson can do the same, and has her team primed for a shot at a third-consecutive title.

In the meantime, Alabama has plenty of tough competition to face. It’s already downed then-ranked No. 21 Missouri and the No. 5 LSU Tigers. Alabama’s next match is Saturday against the No. 15 Kentucky Wildcats, followed by consecutive away meets at powerhouses Georgia and Florida. Still, Patterson and company are as talented as anyone in the nation, are currently ranked fifth in the nation, and show no signs of slowing down.

Softball

Head Coach Patrick Murphy’s squad is another ridiculously talented team at Alabama. Murphy just took last year’s squad to Oklahoma City, Okla., where the team won its first Women’s College World Series title. This team packs a punch every year, but with Jackey Branham, Kaila Hunt, Kayla Braud and Jackie Traina returning, this team could go deep into post-season play.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf program is something else you can follow, although you’ll have to make a drive out to the Ol’ Colony golf complex to see their home matches. Still, it’s worth the drive, as the men’s team is one of the most talented in the nation. Indeed, Alabama was a single stroke away from being last year’s champions.

This team has been consistently great, and returns key players in Scott Strohmeyer, Justin Thomas, Cory Whitsett and Bobby Wyatt. And as long as Jay Seawell is the head coach, this team is always going to have a shot at the title.

Women’s Golf

Don’t forget about women’s golf, either. The women’s golf program here made history – much like numerous other Alabama teams – by beating Southern California to win the program’s first ever national title. Head coach Mic Potter is returning some talent to the team, and this year should provide another successful season.