UA organist’s concert to create ‘domino effect’ of art

Faythe Freese, professor of organ at The University of Alabama, will be presenting three interdisciplinary concerts starting Wednesday, Jan. 23 through Jan. 25. The concert is a collaboration with Creative Campus and members of the Alabama Repertory Dance Theatre and is based on art by the artist Nall.

Freese had three pieces commissioned by her friend, composer and organist, Pamela Decker, professor of organ and music theory at the University of Arizona. The organ solos are inspired by three different pieces of Alabama-based artist, Nall’s art that Freese owns: “Iris and Poppy,” “Augenmusik” and “The Cross of Faith.” Each piece of art is different and the music will consequently reflect this difference.

The concert will consist of Freese at the organ playing these new works, along with other pieces, while dancers from ARDT perform on the stage of Moody Music Building’s Concert Hall. Cornelius Carter, Sarah Barry and Rita Snyder are the choreographers.

“Working with the dancers has been wonderful,” Freese said.

In order to promote cyclical artistic inspiration, Creative Campus will be presenting audience members with pieces of paper and drawing utensils during the concerts. Audience members will be encouraged to draw what they hear, see or feel. Creative Campus will then take all of the audience art and transform them into large collages.

“It’s a domino effect,” Freese said. “Art inspired music which then inspired dance which then together will inspire more art.”

Creative Campus intern Kristen Tcherneshoff is a junior majoring in studio art with minors in art history, religious studies and Italian. She, along with other Creative Campus interns, has been involved in making this concert a reality since last spring.

“She came to us, presented to our body of interns what she was doing, and asked if we could brainstorm on ways to partner with her,” Tcherneshoff said. “Our group of interns worked hard together thinking of what we could do for this project and we also worked a lot with Dr. Freese, finding ideas. She was gracious enough to allow us into her home one night for a potluck dinner where we were able to discuss the project and actually hear her perform the piece for us.”

This concert, while a celebration of interdisciplinary art, is also being held as a part of the 25th anniversary of Moody’s Holtkamp organ. This 86-rank, 65-stop organ has been a part of the school of music since 1988.

“It’s a world class instrument,” Freese said. “We are lucky to have it here.”

Three identical performances will be held Wednesday, Jan. 23 through Friday, Jan. 25 at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall in Moody Music Building. Ticket prices range between $12 and $18. There will be a reception held Wednesday night. Tickets for the combined event are $30. Tickets can be purchased at uamusic.tix.com.