Soulful Nashville band to headline Green Bar

Nashville-based band DeRobert and the Half Truths will be making a one-night performance at Green Bar Friday as part of their 2012 tour.

Managed by G.E.D. Soul Records, the band members play a wide variety of instruments, featuring lead singer DeRobert Adams, drummer Nick DeVan on drums, bassist Dave Singleton, guitarist Andrew Muller, Mark Spain on the tenor saxophone and Austin Little on trombone.

David Allen, the event manager for Green Bar, said the band is different from the music he usually hears, and that’s why he decided to bring them to Tuscaloosa.

“They’re kind of new in the throwback,” he said. “Working at a venue, you hear a lot of bands that sound the same, a lot of really boring music. DeRobert and the Half Truths really surprised me with one, being different with their throwback soul, and two, being really good at it.”

Allen compared the band to James Brown and said their music was easy to dance to. He also said he hadn’t heard them before asking them to perform at the bar.

“They emailed me, and that was the first I’d heard of them,” Allen said. “They were looking for a gig.”

He said he didn’t have a particular audience in mind when booking them for the show but said he believes everyone, including college students, loves soul music.

Nick DeVan, drummer for DeRobert and the Half Truths, said the band first started out with only three members.

“DeRobert and the Half Truths were formed when G.E.D. Soul Records producers Dave Singleton, myself and DeRobert Adams recorded the song ‘Fallin’ In Debt,’” DeVan said. “We had the recording and then named it, and then it became G.E.D. 002 on G.E.D. Soul Records. After the good response from that, we continued recording under that name and formed the live group we have today.”

DeVan said the band has been performing since 2009 and enjoys performing across the country.

“We now consistently hit the Northeast coast, Midwest and Southeast,” he said.

Friday’s performance will be DeRobert and the Half Truths’ first show in Tuscaloosa, and they are looking forward to reaching out to a new audience.

“We hail from Nashville, Tenn.,” DeVan said. “We can’t wait to perform for our Southern brethren and sistren in Tuscaloosa, Ala.”

The show starts at 10 p.m. with a $3 cover charge and is 21 and up. Along with DeRobert and the Half Truths, the Blackwater Thieves will perform as the opening act.