Students who struggle with isolation in college are not alone

If you have ever watched a classic college movie, like “Animal House” or even “Revenge of the Nerds,” you are familiar with the norms that college is a place of constant partying, relationships, and friendships that last a lifetime. But for some students, the reality of college is a far cry from the party on the silver screen and can be a place of isolation and loneliness, despite the prevalence of student organizations, greek life and parties.

During her first year at The University of Alabama, Kevyn Armstrong-Wright, a sophomore majoring in English and history, struggled with feelings of isolation as she tried to find her place in a sea of people. Though Armstrong-Wright met a lot of students in her first semester, she had a difficult time developing meaningful relationships after being close to the same people for so many years in her small hometown.

“It takes a while to develop concrete, meaningful relationships like those I had left behind,” she said. “That in itself made me feel alone and sort of apathetic to the social part of college.”

Forming new relationships can be daunting for students who have had the same group of friends for much of their lives, but college years also provide an opportunity to develop relationships that are based on shared interests rather than simply proximity.

Mary Meares, an associate professor of communications, suggests students be proactive in forming relationships by joining clubs and making connections with people with similar interests.

Though social networking sites like Facebook have, at times, been vilified for weakening social skills and connections, Meares said it can be used to supplement social interaction, but not substitute for it, by allowing students to learn more about others and giving them more topics about which to talk.

For Armstrong-Wright, dealing with feelings of isolation was difficult, and feeling like everyone else was having a great time in the social scene only made it more so.

She said it is important to remember not everyone is having a great time all the time, and partying is not the only way to have fun. Comparing your social lives to others’ and basing expectations on glamorous Hollywood portrayals of college life can also add to feelings of isolation if you feel your social life does not measure up, she said.

Armstrong-Wright was eventually able to overcome her feelings of isolation by figuring out what she wanted in her social life and learned how to invest in relationships and make them meaningful.

“As the year was coming to a close, I had figured out who I wanted to spend time with for the most part,” she said. “So my solution was just forcing myself to do that – talk to people, initiate relationships, be a good friend. Most likely, other freshmen are feeling the exact same way and if you open up, they will too.”

Studies show many students are not alone in the fight against isolation, but these feelings of loneliness are a difficult issue for some people to address.

However, isolation is not confined to just college campuses. In 2011, the Census Bureau reported that the number of single person households had risen to around 28 percent. Though living alone does not necessarily indicate feelings of isolation, a Cornell University study showed the number of close friendships people report is two, down from three in 1985.

Even after having time to find their place and develop relationships, older students can also face isolation as classes become more demanding and social calendars are impeded by jobs, internships and extracurriculars.

Amber Smith, a junior majoring in English, faced this problem after adding a part-time job to her already busy class schedule.

To cope with feeling isolated by her busy schedule, Smith takes time to appreciate brief moments with friends by catching up between classes.

“I’m a huge fan of hugs,” she said. “And while it’s never as much time as I’d like to spend with all the wonderful people in my life, it makes me feel pretty special and connected when I know my friends are not only as busy as I am, but are willing to take even a few minutes out of their day to catch up.”

Smith also finds that older students face pressures like paying bills, which, combined with the stress of classes, can make it hard for students to invest in relationships, but she is getting better at making time for friends.

“With my own scheduling, I find myself trying harder than I ever have to invest in a relationship I have with my friends and family,” she said. “I think I’ve called my mom and sister more often this semester than any other, and I’ve gotten better at actually planning time with friends.”

Isolation can also make students feel like they lack support, but Meares suggests seeking out faculty for support and guidance during stressful times like finals, as they can offer advice and connect students who are facing the same problems.

“A lot of times other people are feeling the same thing, so you feel like you’re isolated and you’re the only one experiencing that,” Meares said. “And a lot of time that’s not the case at all.”