Decades later, Hilaritas still 1 of Tuscaloosa’s traditions

The University of Alabama’s School of Music is kicking off the holiday season this weekend with Hilaritas, an annual holiday concert put on by the University Singers under the direction of John Ratledge and the Alabama Jazz Ensemble under the direction of Christopher Kozak.

Hilaritas is a Greek word that translates loosely to “live joyfully and be who you are.” It has been a Tuscaloosa holiday staple ever since its first performance in 1969. Now, 43 years later, Hilaritas is a sentimental and cherished holiday tradition for its long-time loyal audiences.

“They’re always enthusiastic,” said Ratledge, director of Singers as well as choral activities at the University. “Some people have been coming to Hilaritas for 30 plus years. It’s a big part of their holiday traditions.”

The music of Hilaritas is a mix of classical and contemporary with lots of popular holiday songs. Singers and the Jazz Ensemble present pieces individually as well as together. Ratledge and Kozak, the director of jazz studies at the University, split conducting duties throughout the concert.

In order to keep the program fresh, pieces are rotated in and out every year. For singers, that means this year will feature two new arrangements of “Jingle Bells” and “White Christmas.”

The opening and finale medleys were arranged by an Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame inductee Steve Sample during his time at the University.

The Jazz Ensemble is comprised of jazz band and orchestra members. Johnny Mok, a sophomore majoring in cello performance, is an orchestra member who will play with the Jazz Ensemble in his second Hilaritas this weekend.

“My favorite part of Hilaritas is really the joy of being able to play Christmas music,” Mok said.

In addition to musical performances, the audience will get to see a holiday spectacle onstage. Singers split into individual quartets and pick a holiday theme to decorate their platform and themselves. Themes in the past have included a Griswold family Christmas, the other reindeer, Alvin and the Chipmunks, a Harry Potter Christmas and more.

Instrumentalists also dress up in costumes and line their music stands with lights and garland. Mok said his cello section is thinking about a summer elf theme this year.

The performers take the decorations just as seriously as the music; some members start brainstorming as early as September.

“Some people are so secretive about it,” said Katie Aldrup, a senior majoring in vocal performance and a member of University Singers.

Aldrup will be performing in her final Hilaritas this year. She said seeing everyone’s costumes and creativity along in addition to singing with the Jazz Band has been the best part of her Hilaritas experiences. This year she looks at the concert with mixed emotions.

“It’s bittersweet,” Aldrup said. “It’s been so fun and I’ll be sad when I can’t do it anymore.”

Ratledge said he is excited to see what the performers come up with this year, especially since this will be the first Hilaritas for a large portion of the ensemble.

“The best part for me is watching the students,” he said. “The themes are always interesting and they all really enjoy it. This year is unique in that about 70 percent of the choir is new. Usually it’s the other way around with 70 percent of the choir being old. We are going to have trouble fitting everyone on stage the way we usually do, but it’s a good problem to have.”

Hilaritas will be performed Friday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 2 at 3 p.m. in the Concert Hall of Moody Music Building. Ticket prices are $15 and $7 for seniors and students. Tickets go quickly and can be purchased at uamusic.tix.com.