Tide looks to keep streak alive against Gamecocks

The Alabama volleyball team will host South Carolina on Friday, Nov. 16.

The Crimson Tide has bounced back, resulting in a two-match win streak. Coach Ed Allen said he was impressed with his squad’s week-to-week improvement. Going into Alabama’s final games, easier battles approach.

“The schedule certainly stacks up and is friendlier towards the end of the season, so we clearly have every opportunity to be favorable if we play to our potential. That itself creates momentum and, obviously, winning.” Allen said.

Allen also spoke on freshman Laura Steiner and her development this season.

“She is the most consistent freshman that we have,” Allen said. “She is versatile, and we can play her on both sides.”

Steiner was recently named SEC Freshman of the Week.

“I was really surprised, but it is awesome to be recognized in that way,” Steiner said.

She is 12th in the SEC, with 3.12 kills per set and a .206 hitting percentage. This is the second time she has received this honor in her first collegiate year. Last Friday, Steiner recorded a career-high of 20 kills, demonstrating her outstanding leadership and poise against the Wildcats. With the season winding down, making it count is all the Tide is pushing for.

“We have two weeks left, and we are trying to get the home stretch by taking care of our last four games and [will] hopefully continue the streak of wins,” Steiner said. “The main things are knowing and believing you can win.”

As she faces South Carolina this weekend for the second time this season, she will have momentum on her side. Steiner led the way in the last matchup, with 14 kills for the Tide.

South Carolina is 15-12 and 3-12 in the SEC. The Tide defeated the Gamecocks on the road in their last meeting, 3-1. For Alabama to keep the drive alive, they have to remember key tips toward their opponents. The Gamecocks are 8-0 when they win the blocking battle. They win the battle by averages of 2.06 and 1.61. Also, South Carolina has seven active freshmen who are playing with the level of competitiveness that matches the freshmen for Alabama. Freshman Jenna Allen of the Gamecocks contributed three kills in their match against the Tennessee Volunteers last Sunday. One of those kills capped a three-point run midway through the first set. Still learning to perfect their craft, the South Carolina volleyball team will come out with intensity.

Matches will begin at 7 p.m. in Foster Auditorium. The Alabama volleyball team will also play their final home game Sunday vs. Auburn at 1 p.m.