Bikers must follow University policies

Last week, we learned bikers are unhappy about the new pedestrian priority zone now in place on the Quad. I have one thing to relay to all unhappy bikers: bike lanes are for bikes, and sidewalks are for walking.

Have you ever seen your life flash before your eyes as a bike quickly maneuvers around you from behind? Are you a victim of assault by bike? You are not alone!

The question is: do bikes really get you to class faster? If you’re on a sidewalk, weaving in between people, the answer is “no.” Every day, we all witness bikers battle the walkers around them – on sidewalks that are made for walking. My favorite place to witness this: the crosswalk in front of Reese Phifer Hall. Yes, the one that seems forever congested. People can barely keep their feet off the ground and on the pedals because they cannot move quickly enough in a crowd of people to do so.

Did I mention crosswalks are for walking, also?

If people were to use the bike lanes that are provided around the Quad and on several campus streets, they would get to class at a faster pace than if they chose to ride on sidewalks filled with people.

Oftentimes, I find myself battling other walkers for a space on the sidewalk because they are barely large enough for two people to cohabitate side-by-side. Add a bike on top of that, and someone’s bound to go down.

Don’t agree with me? The University’s bicycle policy does. It states: “Cyclists should ride their vehicles on campus in bike lanes or in traffic lanes in accordance with Alabama State Law. If heavy pedestrian traffic occurs, it is expected that riders will dismount in deference to pedestrians.”

If you are going to own, register and ride a bicycle around this campus, you should be knowledgeable of its policies. The policy, in its entirety, can be found on the Auxiliary Services website. If you cannot abide by this policy or are too afraid to ride your bike in traffic, join the rest of us in walking to class.

No one wants to be hit with a bike, and no one wants to be the biker who ran over someone. The University’s policy is in place to keep this from happening, and we should all try to abide by it.

Tori Lee is a senior majoring in dance and public relations. Her column runs biweekly on Mondays.