New exercise class brings dance moves Zumba into pools

The popularity of the Zumba cardio dance workout has taken to the water in what Zumba.com terms a “pool party:” the new Aqua Zumba exercise class, now offered at the indoor pool at the University Recreation Center.

Aqua Zumba adds a new twist to traditional water fitness, incorporating Zumba’s high-energy dance moves with traditional water fitness disciplines to create a body-toning cardiovascular workout that uses the water as a means of strength training and can help participants burn up to 500 or 600 calories per 50-minute session.

Aqua Zumba, which was added to the Rec Center’s group exercise program at the start of the semester, is designed to appeal to a younger audience than traditional water fitness.

“I believe that Aqua Zumba can improve the Group Ex program’s aquatic-based classes to be more effective and more appealing to the student population,” Aqua Zumba instructor Sara-Margaret Cates said. “Aqua Zumba is not your grandmother’s water aerobics class.”

Currently, the class takes place Mondays at 6:35 p.m. At the start of the spring semester, Aqua Zumba classes will also be offered on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 5:30 p.m. to accommodate more participants.

The moves from traditional, fast-paced Zumba have been adapted for the water to optimize participants’ workouts. Aqua Zumba moves are more exaggerated than in traditional Zumba to maintain the intensity without the physical impact.

“It’s not just Zumba in the water,” Cates said. “The nature of water and the added resistance means the moves are a bit slower but definitely no less intense.”

This class, which accommodates 30 participants, usually has at least 20 people in attendance. So far, Cates has gotten a positive response from participants who have not always expected the workout to be so intense.

“The biggest response I get [from participants] is along the lines of ‘Wow! That really was a good workout,’” Cates said. “I think they’re not expecting to work as hard or be as sore the next day as they are when they participate.”

In addition to Aqua Zumba, the Rec Center also offers a traditional water exercise class every weekday at 7:30 a.m.

The major benefit of aquatic fitness is its lack of impact on joints, which can have therapeutic effects. For people suffering from injury, back and joint pain or arthritis, water exercise can allow them to step up their fitness without putting stress or strain on their bodies.

The center’s group exercise coordinator Whitney Spota said the non-impact techniques make it an ideal workout for many demographics.

“I have seen athletes, students, faculty, men, women old [and] young participate in our water fitness classes,” she said.

The exercises in water fitness are performed in the shallow end of the pool, so the ability to swim is not required of participants. Should participants find themselves in danger, all instructors are CPR certified, so the risks of water exercise classes are relatively minimal. However, participants still need to stay hydrated because there is still the same risk of dehydration as a typical workout, despite the exercises being in water.

“You are still burning calories and sweating,” Spota said. “Sometimes people are unaware and can get dehydrated very quickly. Always bring your water bottle to a water fitness class.”

For more information on Aqua Zumba or other water fitness classes, visit urec.sa.ua.edu.