UA students view, discuss final presidential debate

The Eta Chi chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity hosted a presidential debate viewing party and panel Monday night to discuss issues of the presidential election.

Jebrell Long, the event coordinator, served as the Democratic voice on the panel, Devuntae Finley was the Republican voice and Jonathan Harrell was the undecided voter on the panel.

“I believe that democratic-wise, Obama holds an understanding of us as students,” Long said. “He understands that there is a middle class and without that middle class, there is no opportunity for hierarchy.”

Finley, however, said he believes military spending should be heavily discussed when weighing the pros and cons of each candidate.

“[Obama] plans to cut our military spending by $2 million,” Finley said. “That cuts security and keeps people from coming to our country and increases the chance of attack. Military is a big part of society. Everyone strives for this. Our government should embrace these people. They sacrifice their lives for no money at all. If they cut military, you take something away from great men and women who want to fight for our country.”

Contrastingly, Long said politicians must remember all pieces of the puzzle when it comes to budgeting for various projects.

“You can’t forget that Romney is the candidate who wants to cut Big Bird,” Long said. “At some point, we have to manage our money across the board and be realistic about what we really want to invest in, not just military.”

Abortion was another heated issue that audience members asked about during the panel.

“I’m pro-life,” Finley said. “Just think: What if that was your sister or daughter? You shouldn’t terminate a blessing. I’m very conservative and Bible-based. I believe that ‘thou shalt not kill.’ It’s a godly thing for me.”

Contrastingly, Long said the issue of abortion should lay in the hands of the couple that made that life.

“You have to consider that we could get overpopulated very easily,” Long said. “I still think it’s up to those who created that life to make that decision for themselves.”

Harrell said, despite the good overall plans of each candidate, he still remains undecided because neither has been able to commit to one side of most of the issues facing the country.

“It’s true Romney has been wishy-washy throughout this campaign,” Harrell said. “However, people forget that Obama made promises when he was elected in 2008 and a lot of those things haven’t happened either.”

After the panel and discussion concluded, many students stayed to watch the debate.

“I was on campus studying and it was really convenient,” Leon Horton, a senior majoring in finance, said about why he attended the event. “I really appreciate Kappa Alpha Psi for hosting this event and making it convenient for students studying on campus.”

Horton said he thought Obama won the final presidential candidate debate against Romney.

“Romney was definitely good competition, but Obama demonstrated that the current international policy has the U.S. on the right track,” Horton said. “We’re not reckless in our diplomacy in the Middle East. Being reckless is definitely not the answer.”

Although he didn’t say who he is planning on voting for in the election, Horton said he appreciated both candidates’ ability to relate the international issues back to the United States.

“Both candidates kept bringing it back home,” Horton said. “I like that Obama said even though it’s important that we’re involved in nation building abroad, he made it clear that nation building at home needs to be a priority, too.”