SGA’s Battle of the Bands to determine opening act for B.o.B.

Local bands The Doctors and The Lawyers, Mother Funk, Electric Moon and Kadesh and the Perfect Strangers will compete at the Student Government Association’s Battle of the Bands for a chance to go on to open for B.o.B at SGA’s RAGE concert on Nov. 8.

“We are thrilled with the amount of artists who submitted music samples to compete in Battle of the Bands,” SGA President Matt Calderone said. “We have a lot of talented student musicians and I look forward to finding out who will open for B.o.B.”

Students and local groups submitted music demos to the SGA for consideration and four bands were chosen to compete at Jupiter on Tuesday, Nov. 6, at 9 p.m. According to an SGA press release, the winner of the Battle will be chosen by crowd applause at the event. The winner will then join another as-yet unannounced opening act before B.o.B’s headlining event at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater on Nov. 8.

Students can now buy tickets for the RAGE concert on myBama under the Campus Life tab for $25. Only UA students, faculty and staff can buy tickets, but they can purchase up to two additional guest tickets for $30 each.

Fifty-six percent of ticket sales will go to an SGA scholarship endowment fund, SGA Press Secretary Meagan Bryant said, and the other 44 percent will go toward venue and Ticketmaster fees. Because it is a closed event and only UA community members and guests can attend, Bryant said the current ticket prices will probably be final.

Bryant said students will have the opportunity to win free tickets to the concert.

“Two tickets will be given away as prizes for our Academic Scavenger Hunt through SGA’s office of Academic Affairs,” Bryant said. “We feel that this not only helps unify SGA’s projects, but it also gives students incentive to complete the Academic Scavenger Hunt.”

Though the Amphitheater typically utilizes a general admission, standing-room section near the stage and raised, reserved seats behind, Bryant said all RAGE tickets will be general admission.

“Everybody will be able to choose whether they sit or stand once they get to the Amphitheater,” she said.

Crimson Ride buses will circulate on the night of the concert, giving UA community members rides to and from Lakeside, Tutwiler and the Amphitheater.