Sitters for Service uses volunteers to help parents

For student parents, the issue of finding an affordable and available babysitter can be a daunting task.

Between juggling school and raising a child, many student parents simply do not have the time or resources to find a babysitter who meets their needs. In response to this, The University of Alabama created Sitters for Service, an initiative developed to provide parents with free babysitting services from student volunteer babysitters.

Sitters for Service was developed three and a half years ago to serve the 2,000+ student parents on campus. Currently, it serves 38 student families and provides them with access to 38 different sitters, the highest quantity in the program’s history.

“The program is the first of its kind in the country,” Cori Perdue, work life manager for the University and program coordinator, said. “We now have two other universities that have contacted us about setting up similar programs on their campuses.”

The program is volunteer-based, and student sitters can earn community service hours by choosing the number of hours they would like to dedicate per semester. Sitters can choose to serve 20, 30 or 40 hours each semester. For students like Alex Constantine, the program has been an excellent way to get involved and give back to the community.

“I like that it’s a volunteer program that’s helping other UA students that maybe don’t have the time or money to get other babysitters. It makes me feel good to help other students out because I know how hard the workload is, and being a parent is a whole other responsibility on top of that,” Constantine, a junior majoring in elementary education, said.

Although the program is comprised of sitters with a variety of majors, many of the students participate in the program as a way to gain valuable experience in their fields of study and to apply their knowledge to real life situations.

“A lot of times, the students are nursing majors or education majors that are trying to get related experience in their fields,” Perdue said.

The program has been largely successful over the past few years in aiding student parents in their search for an appropriate babysitter. Following the application and interview process, all students must become CPR certified and then participate in a meet-and-greet session where all parents meet with each of the sitters to find which sitters best meet their needs. This provides the parents with peace of mind in knowing that their babysitter is well qualified and a good match.

Rachel Delevett, a senior majoring in human development and family studies, is in her fourth semester with the program.

“I think it’s a great way to give back to the University as a whole,” Delevett said. “I like working with the parents because they are respectful of your time and understand that you’re a student, and they are really grateful for the program.”

Students interested in volunteering for the Sitters for Service program can find more information on the Graduate Parent Support website at www.gps.ua.edu. Applications for the Spring 2013 semester are currently available. Students may also contact Cori Perdue, work life manager, at [email protected].