Alabama defense prepares for fast-paced Mizzou offense

The Alabama football team will soon face a Missouri team that utilizes the no-huddle offense and formations the Tide defense experienced against Ole Miss.

Defensive back Vinnie Sunseri said the team is anticipating an up-tempo pace when the Missouri Tiger offense takes the field Saturday. The sophomore said the Tide defense will be able to handle the speed posed by this offense because of what defensive coordinator Kirby Smart and head coach Nick Saban have done to ensure the players do not become fatigued.

While the Tide is prepared for the pace, Sunseri said it will be a challenge for the defense to cover Tiger formations not seen a lot in previous weeks. The defensive back and his teammates are preparing to shut down the fast-paced Missouri offense by familiarizing themselves with the Tigers’ formations.

“They come out with a lot of quads and a lot of empty formations,” Sunseri said. “There are a lot of red personal, and we’re just getting ready for that.”

As with Ole Miss, the Missouri offense will look to its passing game. Sunseri said the defense is excited to compete against a team that will throw the ball.

“We’re really looking forward to someone throwing the ball on us, and we’re all trying to go out there and play our best,” Sunseri said. “The coaches are putting us in great positions to make plays. We just have to keep playing hard.”

Sunseri said the defense is preparing for this Saturday’s game the same way, although Missouri quarterback, James Franklin, will be absent due to an injury.

Tide looks to the vertical game without veteran players

The depth of the Tide receiving core will aid the team in the passing game after the loss of wide receiver DeAndrew White, giving a greater amount of play-time potential to younger players. Quarterback AJ McCarron said his young receivers will have to step up with the loss of this veteran player but that every player has been working hard in practice to fill this opening. However, the junior said he is comfortable throwing to all of his receivers.

“I trust all of my receivers, not one guy,” McCarron said. “They all make plays for me. I know that. I know what they’re capable of, so I don’t have more confidence in one receiver more than any other.”

The quarterback said there is no focus on the passing game in the match-up against the Tigers. The Tide offense will play to what the opposing defense allows it, he said.

“Everybody keeps talking about the vertical passing game, but if they’re not going to give us a vertical passing game, then we’re not going to take it,” McCarron said. “We’re not going to force anything. Some teams are going to load the box, play man, make you throw the ball vertically and beat them. Some teams are going to play zone. They’re going to give you different looks.”