Our generation’s drink of choice, the Starbucks brand

There is something about the changing of the seasons that excites me. As the weather cools and the leaves begin to fall, we all start to adorn ourselves with boots and sweaters.

But now the best way to celebrate the new season is with a cup of coffee for warmth and energy. Not just any coffee, but Starbucks, specifically. And with the grand opening of the new bigger Starbucks on our campus, it won’t be surprising to see most people on campus with a Starbucks cup in their hand.

It was not until the rise in popularity of Starbucks that our generation became coffee drinkers. The words “coffee” and “Starbucks” have become interchangeable, creating a seamless transition between the drink and company.

And yet, Starbucks is more than just a company. It is a brand. Most people have a more positive inclination toward the white cup with that green logo on it versus any other competing coffee cups. The way in which one views a Starbucks coffee cup compared to others is similar to the way one may view name brand jeans compared to off-brands.

From company to brand, Starbucks has become an icon to our generation. As much as we like the taste of the coffee, it is more than that. It’s our generation’s watering hole. Where everyone goes to socialize, to study, to go on a date.

When asking some of my friends why they drink Starbucks and prefer it over other coffees, their reasons went along with this idea of Starbucks as a brand. The primary reasons were about the atmosphere and trend that Starbucks offers customers. It was only after this that they mentioned the deliciousness of the coffees and drinks themselves.

For some people, this is exactly what they want out of a cup of coffee: a trendy place to drink a good cup of coffee with good friends. But others may lean more toward a quiet coffee shop down the street (such as Chloe’s Cup or Nehemiah’s) to support the smaller local business of coffee without the huge marketing name.

A cup of Starbucks has replaced the glass bottled Coke as our generational drink of choice. We have replaced Coke with coffee, glass with the white and green cup, the candy-cane-striped straw with a cardboard sleeve.

We drink it every day, every way, every season. We listen to songs about falling in love at a coffee shop and some of us actually do.

So with the grand opening of our new Starbucks this week, we can expect a large number of students quenching their thirst and fulfilling their social agenda at our watering hole’s new location.

Hannah Waid is a junior majoring in English. Her column runs biweekly on Tuesdays.