Music student’s composition makes national noise

Watch doctoral composition student Amir Zaheri in the hallways of Moody for a few minutes, and it will become clear he has a personality that draws people toward him. Soft-spoken, yet direct, Zaheri has an intuitive nature that makes him a popular source for advice. This insightfulness influences his compositions, which in recent months have brought him major rewards.

A Narramore Fellow and student of C. P. First, Zaheri was a featured composer on ComposersCircle.com this past summer. He has also celebrated new publications, new commissions and premiere performances in the last few months.

“When Amir first arrived at the University, he was already an accomplished composer with an international reputation, but during his time here, he has really refined his language, narrative and compositional technique,” First, a composition professor, said.

Zaheri’s “Soundtrack to Brad’s eHarmony Profile” was recently selected for performance at the 2012 Student Society of Composers, Inc. National Conference, which will be held at Capital University this fall. The digital piece was also selected for performance at the 2nd Annual Electroacoustic Barn Dance Festival at the University of Mary Washington.

“It actually started out as a joke,” Zaheri said. It was my first digital piece for a class, but when I brought it in, Dr. First was like, ‘Amir, that’s actually pretty good.’”

Zaheri brought it in to work on with his teacher. Since then, the piece has gathered its own following.

“Every composer has their niche,” he said. “ Perhaps I’ve just discovered mine – dating profile soundtracks.”

Zaheri’s successes speak not only for him, but also for the quality of work coming from the School of Music.

“We are extremely proud of Amir and his accomplishments,” Charles “Skip” Snead, director of the School of Music, said. “He exemplifies all of the characteristics that we hope to see in every graduate student. His success on the regional and national level reflects extremely well on our program.”

As a composer in residence for The University of Alabama Opera Theatre, he’s currently working on a musical entitled “Over Dinner,” to be performed in spring 2013.

“One of my favorite styles is musical theatre, along the lines of Noel Coward and Irving Berlin,” Zaheri said.

When he sat down with Paul Houghtaling, director of the UA Opera Theatre, to discuss the next step for the company, Zaheri knew it was time for a musical.

“Over Dinner” explores the relationships of several couples in a diner setting. It includes a myriad of characters, from a neurotic girlfriend and boyfriend, whose love keeps them strong, to the diner’s hostess, who is experiencing the pain of a breakup with no closure. Interwoven is the constant theme, “Anything can happen over dinner.”

Zaheri’s partnership with UA Opera Theatre has been in place since he arrived at the University in January 2011.

Snead believes that Zaheri’s composer-in-residence status illustrates the special collaborative nature that is standard for the composition department.

“By nature, composers are a collaborative group,” he said. They depend on the efforts of others for the ultimate realization of their achievements. Likewise, performers depend on willing and collaborative composers for the perpetuation of the art. Amir’s relationship with our University Opera Theatre is an outstanding example of this ongoing relationship.”

Even with a constantly packed schedule of performances and teaching, Zaheri has time to reflect on his work.

“It’s like being a parent,” Zaheri said. “You care for them and hope they will help people to think and be healing and loving. I think I am part of a minority of people on the planet who have the opportunity to do what one loves and make a difference in others’ lives through it. At a certain point, I view that as a responsibility.”