Attorney general candidates debate issues

The UA Honors College Lecture Series, along with the UA School of Law and the Blackburn Institute, hosted a forum for candidates running for attorney general Thursday in Sellers Auditorium at the Bryant Conference Center.

Democratic candidates Giles Perkins and James Anderson, along with Republican candidate Luther Strange, faced off in front of about 100 students and Tuscaloosa residents, with questions ranging from the duties of the attorney general to their opinions on current Attorney General Troy King.

King, who was appointed to the position by Gov. Bob Riley, is seeking reelection and was not in attendance, citing a conflict in scheduling.

“It’s time for change,” Perkins said in his opening statement. “This election is about what kind of Alabama we want to become, and I can tell you this, Troy King is not part of the solution. We cannot tolerate those that are corrupt.“

In his opening statement, Strange, King’s Republican opponent, called the election for attorney general the most important one on the ballot.

“There has been a massive expansion of government programs being put together,” Strange said. “And it’s up to the attorney general to determine where the power of federal government ends.”

Anderson opened by telling those in attendance that he is the most qualified for the position, noting that he has over 30 years of courtroom experience in the state of Alabama, before turning his attention to King.

“It’s time that someone who’s a real attorney fills this office,” Anderson said. “Troy King is the poster child of why we need to let the people of Alabama vote on who fills this office. “

Candidates responded to questions submitted by students and community members. The questions were asked both through video clips and by debate moderator Michael Forst.

All three candidates agreed there will be an unknown number of unintended consequences based on the recent health care bill.

“I don’t think the idea is to just go out and file a lawsuit,” Anderson said. “But the attorney general needs to go out and watch after consumers and sort out the problem. And let me tell you there are problems around the corner.”

The debate concluded with each candidate addressing the recently announced news that the FBI is looking into corruption charges in the recent bingo vote in the state Senate.

“This is evidence of what will happen if the rule of law is not enforced,” Strange said. “When you have interest groups who see that the attorney general is standing on the sideline and unwilling to do his job, it is easy to see that this can happen.”

Forst said he was excited with the three candidates’ energy level.

“I was glad to see [the candidates] were engaged and able to relate with the audience,” he said.

Democratic and Republican primaries are scheduled for June 1.