Recipes that cut time, not flavor

Fall semester is in full swing and time, for many students, is limited. So when you’re low on time but craving food that’s better than average, here are some easy recipes that all take less than 20 minutes to make.

In the mood for seafood, but not feeling a pricey dinner at Chuck’s Fish? Shrimp is a great seafood ingredient capable of spicing up any meal. A great alternative to laborious recipes is one I found titled “best unsteamed shrimp” from allrecipes.com.

For this recipe you will need one-fourth cup of butter, one pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined), two tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning (or any other type of creole/seafood spice) and one tablespoon of lemon juice. The best part of this recipe is that in 20 minutes, and with a microwave, you can have delicious shrimp at your apartment or dorm.

To start, place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and then microwave for 15 to 30 seconds until the butter is melted. Next, stir in the Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice into the butter mixture. Then put the shrimp on a microwave safe plate that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and pour the butter mixture over the shrimp. Cook the shrimp in the microwave for six minutes, rotating the shrimp every two minutes (you want to end up with pink shrimp.) Let cool and enjoy with cocktail sauce.

A great alternative for Domino’s is “dorm room chicken parmesan.” This recipe only requires three ingredients and very little time. You need to purchase four frozen breaded chicken patties, one cup of your favorite pasta sauce (food.com recommends fire-roasted tomato and garlic), and one cup of shredded cheese (mozzarella, asiago, parmesan or an Italian blend work best).

Cook your chicken as the packaging suggests, stopping just short of fully cooked, which is a little over a minute. In a separate bowl, microwave your spaghetti sauce until hot. Place chicken patties on a plate and cover them with the heated spaghetti sauce sprinkling the cheese on top. Finish the meal by microwaving the plate until the cheese has melted and the chicken is fully cooked.

With just 20 minutes and some basic cooking utensils, these recipes allow you to keep studying and enjoy delicious dinners.