Mallet Assembly to host meet-and-greet

Students interested in progressive issues will have the opportunity to meet and greet with other like-minded students, as well as enjoy refreshments at the Progressive Potluck this Saturday, Sept. 22 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. hosted by the Mallet Assembly.

The Progressive Potluck – or “ProgLuck,” as it is called by its founders – is an opportunity for students who are interested in progressive causes to share in food and fellowship while discussing a myriad of issues such as LGBTQA rights, environmental policy, alternative energy, real food, universal healthcare and increased sensitivity toward non-religious individuals.

Lin Wang, a sophomore majoring in human rights law, who serves as president of Alabama Atheists and Agnostics and a host for the event, defined progressive issues as those that are “concerned with a change for the better.”

“Progressive issues differentiate from other social issues through the ideas of reform and activism, as well as a gradual approach toward opening minds and opportunities,” Wang said.

Participation in previous Progessive Potlucks has consisted of members from organizations such as College Democrats, UA Environmental Council, Alabama Atheists and Agnostics, and Spectrum and Apwonjo Alabama, but all students interested are welcome to attend.

This year, Progessive Potluck’s hosts are making an effort to emphasize that the event is open to both greek and non-greek members of The University of Alabama community. Wang said the Progessive Potluck’s audience traditionally has not included many greeks, but she said its hosts would “like to open it up more because there are greeks who do have progressive ideals, and we would like to tap into that.”

The Progressive Potluck hopes to transcend boundaries of race, sex, religious belief and party affiliation in order to unite a strong community of young people motivated to take action for positive change.

The Progressive Potluck has expanded in its membership over the years, with one of the keys to this growth being its advertising through social media, such as Facebook groups. Sam Gerard, a sophomore majoring in political science and history, serves as Membership Director of College Democrats and Liaison Officer for Alabama Atheists and Agnostics, two of the major groups sponsoring the event.

Gerard said the potluck is attracting participants through joint efforts of many of the associated groups who have been making regular Facebook posts inviting more and more people to come.

The event poses an opportunity for students to meet like-minded peers early in the year with whom they can collaborate on upcoming projects to improve social awareness in the UA community. Through the Progressive Potluck, students are able to engage in valuable networking, learn more about other organizations, and make meaningful friendships with students holding similar values.

“We hope to create a stronger progressive coalition and networking frame with the progressive potlucks,” Gerard said. “And, of course, to eat tasty vittles.”