Apple debuts long-awaited iPhone 5

Technology company Apple debuted its sixth iPhone model, the iPhone 5, on Wednesday.

The newest model in the Cupertino, Calif., company’s cell phone line has a four-inch screen — the biggest yet for the iPhone line-up. The phone also includes a thinner, lighter chassis made of aluminum and glass and is Apple’s first phone with LTE, a faster cellular data network.

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, in an online press release.

The iPhone 5 has many new features in both hardware and software. It has a new A6 processor, an improvement over the iPhone 4S, an A5 dual-core processor and a slightly better camera than the iPhone 4S, although both are eight megapixels and share more in similarity than they differ.

Apple also made a controversial move to discontinue the use of its old 30-pin connector — a staple on every previous iPhone — and replace it with a smaller nine-pin universal connector cord called the “Lightning.” Because of the “Lightning” connector’s smaller size, iPhone users will have to buy an adapter for compatibility with old devices.

Before Apple had announced the iPhone 5, many UA students were already excited for the new gadget.

“I have had an iPhone since I was a junior in high school,” Courtney Huffstutler, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film, said. “I can’t afford the iPhone 5, but I’d buy it in a heartbeat.”

Meghan Chambers, a sophomore majoring in nutrition, was happy about the bigger screen size, which would “make more screen room for content.” However, she will be sticking with her current iPhone 4S for the time being, she said.

“Yes, I want an iPhone 5 but not immediately,” Chambers said. “I want to get my money’s worth from my current iPhone.”

Some students weren’t as impressed by Apple’s offerings.

“I feel the iPhone is a bit overrated,” Brandon Garrett, a junior majoring in computer engineering, said. “Everyone has one, and I kind of want to stand out.”

Garrett, a Droid 2 user, said he wouldn’t call himself an Apple fan, but he might have to purchase an iPhone.

“If I upgrade my Droid 2, Verizon will take away my unlimited data plan,” Garrett said. Buying an out-of-contract smartphone would allow Garrett to keep his unlimited data plan, saying cheap iPhones are “easily available.”

The prices for the iPhone 5 starts at $199 for 16 GB, $299 for 32 GB and $399 for 64 GB. Preorders begin Sept. 14, with the devices shipping a week later on Sept. 21.