Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers to host Sock Hop

If you like to cut a rug but club dancing isn’t your style, or if you simply want to step up your dance moves, Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers might be the place for you. They will host a 1950s themed Sock Hop at Forest Lake United Methodist Church Friday from 7 to 10 p.m.

Founded in 2006, CTBD offers an alternative venue for students to interact, exercise and enjoy the art of ballroom dancing. CTBD promises a warm, welcoming environment for dancers of all skill levels, offering dance lessons prior to each of their twice-monthly dances. More experienced dancers will also be available to help beginners learn the steps during the dance.

For those who would like more instruction, CTBD is currently offering a free 12-week dance course where they teach the Foxtrot, Waltz, Rumba, Cha-Cha and Hustle. The classes are held on Sundays from 3 to 4 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church.

Julia Trippe, a junior majoring in New College, had no dance experience prior to attending several CTBD events but said she has enjoyed learning new dances – her favorite being the Rumba – and having an unconventional outlet for socializing with friends.

“It’s a really good way to hang out with friends and have fun and learn how to dance, because I’ve never really had that opportunity before,” Trippe said.

Elaine Song, CTBD efficiency coordinator, also lacked a dance background when she joined the group a year ago. She did not particularly enjoy dancing before joining but says that ballroom dancing is an easy skill to pick up and can set dancers apart from the crowd.

“What I really like about [ballroom dancing] is at homecoming and prom, people are making it up and doing whatever, but when you’re [ballroom] dancing, you look good and it’s not that hard,” Song said.

CTBD treasurer Tyler Malone became a part of the organization after taking a social dance class at UA. Aside from simply being fun, Malone says being a part of the group affords other social benefits, particularly for young men.

“There’s a very good girl to guy ratio [at our events] that’s definitely in favor of the guys,” Malone said. “A lot of single girls like to dance.”

CTBD founder Jimmy Kunz is a prime example of Malone’s statement. He met his wife and CTBD co-founder Jennifer, a former instructor at Fred Astaire Dance Studio, through ballroom dancing.

Though the group focuses primarily on ballroom dances, they also perform social dances that are more familiar to the general public, like the Cupid Shuffle, the Wobble and the Electric Slide.

“Everybody loves the line dances that we do because they are like a social meet-and-greet, and you dance with everybody, especially the barn dance,” Kunz said. “These are relaxed and low key.”

Kunz understands what it is like to be a beginner. He was very nervous when he began dancing over 10 years ago, but dancing has become a part of life for Kunz, so beginners need not be too intimidated to join in.

“The first time I went [ballroom dancing], I was told I was going to a party, and I spent most of the night glued to a chair,” Kunz said. “Once the instructors got me out of the chair, I began to loosen up and really enjoy myself.”

A $5 donation is requested of students for all CTBD events, $7 for the general public or $12 per couple. A Swing lesson for beginners will begin at 6 p.m. For more information and a schedule of CTBD events, visit ctbd.org.