UA volleyball team to open conference play vs. LSU

The Alabama volleyball team is off to its hottest start in 33 years with an 11-1 record, which will be put to the test when the Crimson Tide faces the LSU Tigers, Friday.

“I think we have our work cut out for us,” head coach Ed Allen said. “The SEC is the SEC. It is one of the best four leagues in the country, and we brought nine new players in, so they are going to have to adjust to all of that.”

Senior Kayla Fitterer is off to a solid start this season after having an offseason setback. With minor foot surgery, she was day-to-day for matches and practice for much of preseason. Now, having been cleared to play every game, she is back and ready to start the rest of the season.

“We’re just really ready to start SEC,” Fitterer said. “Our confidence is up, which is really good heading into SECs.”

LSU, the 2011 SEC West champions, has had a rocky start to its season. With a 4-5 record and a hitting average of just .160, the Tigers don’t seem to be the champions the SEC saw last year. They have had setbacks this season, with five newcomers and four straight weekends on the road, but the Tigers will be a tough-minded team against the Tide.

LSU leads the all-time series 32-21 and has won the past 11 matches against Alabama. Over the past 10 years, the Tigers have averaged a .258 hitting percentage against Alabama, but only .218 when Alabama has home court. The low hitting percentage, combined with the setbacks from the season, could pose problems for the Tigers.

With the Tide being off to a hot start, confidence and maintaining poise are going to be keys to ultimately coming out with a victory Friday night.

“Just going in and staying focused and playing our game [are the keys to winning],” Fitterer said. “We know we can win, we are 11-1, so [we’re] just staying confident, focused and steady and not getting flustered.”

One thing players do not plan to do is become content with the fact that they are 11-1. Keeping up the momentum and working hard keeps the team focused and motivated to go out and win every match.

“I don’t think anybody is ready to become complacent,” freshman outside hitter Laura Steiner said. “We know we have a lot of work to do, so no worries of that happening.”

LSU is the first night of SEC play for the Tide, and coach Allen expects strong competition between the two teams.

“We are going to be a whole lot more competitive,” Allen said. “We expect to win some SEC matches, for sure.”

^

If you go:

What: Alabama vs. LSU

Where: Foster Auditorium

When: Friday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m.