UA show choir resembles ‘Glee’

Resonance, the UA-run show choir, allows students to experience their own real-life version of the hit television show “Glee.”

Catchy songs and intense dance numbers are just a little part of the package deal and is why director Garrett Lindsey said the University’s show choir is “Glee on steroids.”

“We literally tell people who come up to us and ask that we are our own version of Glee,” Lindsey said. “We create really intense choreography and sing as a group; we’re nowhere near as solo-driven as the characters on the show.”

A junior majoring in choral music education, Lindsey first joined the program as a freshman.

Originally, Lindsey started out as the bass section leader, worked his way up to the musical director and currently acts as the director.

“I lead all rehearsals, play a large role in choosing our show’s set lists, when and where we perform, and I occasionally help choreograph some of our performances,” Lindsey said.

Rehearsals are held two times a week, one to practice the song portion, the other for the dance. The group works to create original pieces that will stand out from other groups and performances.

“I occasionally meet with other members of the group to help choreograph different numbers; however, the majority of the time, it’s done by other members of the show choir,” Lindsey said. “They always do a fantastic job.”

Anyone interested is welcome to audition; however, prior singing or performing experience is recommended. Auditions consist of a singing and dancing portion.

“Usually the applicants are only required to sing one song, and the dance audition is done over the course of two days,” he said. “There is a dance clinic and the actual audition. The dance clinic is held just to teach the required dance, and then people are put into groups of five to perform.”

For Morgan Mullen, a sophomore majoring in child development, show choir has provided a family away from home.

“They have definitely turned into my family,” Mullen said. “We spend so much time together, and we all know each other really well. It’s such a creative outlet and a great way to make friends.”

Mullen, who is the president of Resonance, coordinates all the business aspects of the group, including ordering merchandise, scheduling venues and assisting with production.

Over the course of the year, Resonance holds several shows showcasing the group’s talent. This year, the group hopes to perform at high school choir competitions as an exhibition, hoping to promote the name and popularity of the group.

“We sing the national anthem at some sporting events, and we have held charity cabaret concerts in the past on campus, but that money was donated to an outside cause,” Lindsey said.

Despite the major auditions already having been held for the year, the show choir occasionally holds additional auditions in order to replace members who may have left for various reasons. Anyone interested should contact the group at [email protected].

“It’s such a great way to explore singing and dancing, especially if you aren’t majoring in either one while at the University,” Mullen said.