Tide women’s golf finishes 8th at Cougar Classic

The No. 1 Alabama women’s golf team finished eighth at the Cougar Classic on Tuesday with a 54-hole total of 13-over-par 877 on the par-72, 6,219-yard Yeamans Hall Club.

Florida won the event with a 12-under total of 852, while Duke finished second at 6-under 858, with Southern California third at 1-under 863. Vanderbilt (E, 864) and Georgia (+3, 867) rounded out the top five.

“We had it going a little better halfway through the round,” head coach Mic Potter said. “We made some birdies and an eagle on a par 5 and got close to the fifth spot, but we committed some errors after that. The bottom line is we hit a lot of good shots and either didn’t convert birdies from short distances or three-putted. We are going to come home to get a little sharper.”

True freshman Emma Talley finished as Alabama’s top individual with an even-par total of 216. Talley strung together three consecutive rounds of even-par 72. She used an eagle on the par-5 15th hole even during her round on Tuesday that also included four birdies and six bogeys. Talley finished tied for 14th.

Junior Stephanie Meadow finished just one shot back of Talley at 1-over 217. Meadow also carded an even-par 72 on Tuesday to finish tied for 22nd. Jennifer Kirby, who opened with 2-under 70, carded back-to-back rounds of 75 to finish tied for 36th at 4-over 220.

Sophomore Daniela Lendl counted toward the Crimson Tide’s score for the second time in three rounds with a 3-over 75. Her 54-hole total of 226 is a career best and good enough for a tie for 65th. Hannah Collier’s 78 was dropped from Alabama’s score on Tuesday, and she finished tied for 83rd at 229.

Alabama returns to action Oct. 5-7 at the Liz Murphey Fall Preview at the University of Georgia Golf Course.