Women’s tennis looking for another stellar season

The University of Alabama women’s tennis team is preparing to begin its fall campaign with confidence from the team’s success last year.

The Crimson Tide saw its strongest season in school history in 2012 under head coach Jenny Mainz. The coach saw her ninth national championship appearance with the Tide last year and hopes her team will use the momentum and confidence from last year’s success to propel it into this season.

The team made it to the SEC semifinals before Georgia overtook the Tide, winning 4-3. The women then competed as the No. 8 seed in the NCAA Championship. The Tide also sent three players to the NCAA singles and doubles championship.

Mainz said a key aspect of her team’s success last year was the dynamic between the players. While the team has not played in a match together this year, Mainz is confident the players will mesh as well as they have in previous years.

“What we’ve done through time is build a strong, sound program where, regardless of who’s coming in, they fit into the dynamic of team player,” she said. “Very enthusiastic, good energy, they compete hard, their best tennis is still in front of them.”

This dynamic led senior Alexa Guarachi and junior Mary Anne Mcfarlane to compete in singles at the NCAA Championship last year. Gaurachi entered last year’s national championship seeded No. 7 for singles and has returned this year for her senior season. Her experience and enthusiasm has prepared her for a great senior campaign, Mainz said.

Mcfarlane returns this year as an All-American and a leader. Mainz said the junior has held this position each year she has played for the Tide in what is one of the most competitive conferences in the country.

“Our biggest goal is to really bond with each other and learn about each other,” Gaurachi said. “ [It’s important] because we’re a whole new team with different strengths and weaknesses than last year.”

The Tide tennis team also added freshmen Maya Jansen and Natalie Maynetto in the offseason. Mainz said both players were on the courts every day and excelled in the weight room over the summer. She believes both have a passion for the game and an eagerness to add to the team.

“Maynetto is little, but she’s fiery,” Mainz said. “She’s tenacious. She has a little bit of South American flair to her. Maya is a real athlete. She’s raw. Her best tennis is in front of her.”