Kentuck Art Center holds monthly Art Night

Kentuck Art Center in Northport is kicking off September with a diverse Art Night line-up designed to celebrate and showcase art created through different mediums.

This month’s Art Night will be held Thursday, Sept. 6 from 5 to 9 p.m. at Kentuck Art Center and will feature the works of three featured artists or groups and a musical performance.

New York-based artist, Ellie Ali will open “How do you get to Dreamland from here?” in the Main Avenue Gallery.

Ali, a self-taught artist with more than 50 years of experience, is excited to be back in Northport collaborating with Kentuck.

“Art grows out of the earth here,” she said. “You could say I am a Northerner who discovered the South with great joy. I love the art, the food, the people.”

Ali is heavily influenced by the writers, musicians and painters of the 1950s and 60s, along with ancient art. She estimates about 20 paintings will be shown at Kentuck on Thursday.

The title of her exhibit, “How do you get to Dreamland from here?” was inspired by a conversation she had in 2001 at an art festival in Birmingham, Ala. Ali asked a colleague how to get to Dreamland Bar-B-Que but couldn’t focus on their answer because she was struck by the beauty of the question.

“It’s just the nicest title,” Ali said. “I feel like everyone has a dream land.”

The exhibit is not specifically designed to depict any particular dream land. It will offer a collection with ideas inspired by dream-like qualities. Ali’s artistic process is a journey. She said she usually does not have something in mind when she starts to paint, but rather lets herself go into her artistic zone.

The Friends of Hurricane Creek will present a group show in Clarke Gallery with “It’s All Good – Hurricane Creek Reclaimed Wood Art.”

FOHC is a local group whose mission is to protect and preserve Alabama’s Hurricane Creek. All the pieces of art are made from wood salvaged from the April 27, 2011 tornado wreckage at Watson’s Bend Campground near the creek.

FOHC is readying themselves for The Creek Wood Art Contest and Exhibit to be held later in the month at Kentuck. The winners of the contest will be announced Sept. 27 at Creekstravaganza.

The featured potter of the Kentuck Clay Co-Op on Thursday will be Fred Mitchell. Identifying himself as “the old guy in the overalls,” Mitchell will be at the Clay Place along with members who will be hosting a gelato bowl fundraiser. Gelato will be provided by Mary’s Cakes and Pastries.

“I began to make pottery around 2002 because I was drawn by the surprise factor of opening the kiln and the pure fun of playing with mud,” Mitchell said. “My pottery is both functional and unique – no two pieces are alike.”

Local musician, George McLaurine will be the featured performer on Art Night. His musical style is acoustic, yet diverse, with an emphasis on being family-friendly. McLaurine’s repertoire features folk, pop, gospel, early country, bluegrass and rockabilly standards.

In addition to the shows in the main galleries, Kentuck’s studio artists will be in attendance to guide visitors through their works-in-progress. The Cob Oven Crew will also be on hand, preparing free pizza in the Courtyard of Wonders.

Ryan Landis, a doctoral music student at the University of Alabama, attended an Art Night at Kentuck last fall with his family. He appreciated the work and knowledge of the artists present and said it would be an event he would likely attend again.

“I would encourage people to go and broaden their cultural horizons,” Landis said. “It’s especially important to support local and contemporary artists.”