Dunkin Donuts opens in Lakeside

By Alan Alexander

Contributing Writer

Bama Dining kicked off the fall semester with numerous new additions to on-campus dining hotspots, most notably adding a Dunkin Donuts to Lakeside Dining Hall.

Students, faculty and staff were invited to come celebrate the grand opening of the first-ever Tuscaloosa Dunkin Donuts restaurant on UA’s campus by enjoying free Munchkins beginning at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Following a ribbon-cutting ceremony, guests could also participate in a variety of games, such as mini-golf and corn hole, with chances to win a free donut, small coffee or T-shirt.

Dunkin Donuts will be open daily from 7 a.m. through 2 a.m., yet some students believe the coffee and donut shop will receive the majority of its business during the morning hours.

Zack Brasher, a junior majoring in international business, prefers his coffee and donuts in the morning.

“I like the idea of a Dunkin Donuts on campus, but I’m only going to eat there for breakfast,” Brasher said. “I don’t think many people will go there in the afternoon or at night.”

Dunkin Donuts isn’t the only new location for those who are craving something sweet.

The Bistro, the newly renovated coffee and dessert shop in the Bidgood-Alston business complex, offers Sweet Street Desserts brand items, such as gourmet pastries and dessert bars, with flavors ranging from Chocolate Raspberry Tangos to Oreo Dream bars.

Shawn Boone, a sophomore majoring in criminal justice, frequents The Bistro regularly.

“I find everything here very delicious, especially the new dessert options,” Boone said.

Among other new features and locations coming this fall are two express-order kiosks at the Subway in Alston Hall, as well as an official reopening of Topio’s in the Ferguson Center Food Court, complete with new pasta and gelato menu items.

Whether you’re a fan of donuts or pastries, coffee or cappuccinos, Bama Dining now offers a variety of locations for students to satisfy their sweet tooth.