COLUMN | Fashion tips for for Alabama Game Days

By Becky Robinson

Football season is right around the corner. And while that means tailgating, long lines outside of Bryant-Denny, tasty food and hopefully another BCS National Championship, it also means finding the perfect outfit for kickoff.

Obviously, to show some team spirit, you’ll want to stick with a main palette of reds, whites and blacks. Experimenting with various shades, such as crimson or ivory or charcoal, can soften your look and add more depth to an outfit. Because these are all muted colors, mixing and matching is an effective way to prolong the life of the items in your closet. On the other hand, color blocking is a bolder way to show your Alabama pride while still being stylish. Pair some bright red shorts with a tucked white chambray shirt and add a strappy sandal. To transition this look to fall, swap the shorts for primary red jeans, which can be found at an affordable price at places like The Gap or Express. Trade the sandals for some rich leather boots, and you’re set.

Patterns – like our namesake houndstooth – are another fabulous choice for gameday attire. A houndstooth scarf is a perfect accessory that can be worn in many different ways: a neatly knotted neck scarf, a bohemian head wrap or an accessory on your shoulder bag – the choice is yours. YouTube is loaded with videos of how to wear scarves, so get creative! Stripes work wonderfully, as well. Chunky or thin, chevron or straight, short-sleeved or long, stripes are generally a big favorite and look flattering on most everyone. Again, stick with the Alabama color palette when working with patterns for the best gameday look.

Traditional gameday gear, like jerseys or jackets or any other overpriced SUPeStore merchandise, works great, whether you’re tailgating or attending the game. After all, the point of football is to have a fun time, so go ahead and throw on that Trent Richardson jersey. When a jersey is fitted and not four times your size, it’s definitely going to look more put together. Jerseys go best with tailored jeans, but almost any other bottom is sure to work. If you choose a skirt with your jersey, make sure it’s more body contouring than A-line. Too much flowing fabric doesn’t allow your figure to come through, and you can easily go from stylish to sloppy.

Finally, no great gameday look is finished without accessories, which are key to polishing off your outfit. Jewelry, especially pieces in the shape of elephants, is great. Don’t overdo the jewelry, though. Choose a statement piece and go with that – you don’t want to look like you robbed a flea market. Face tattoos and face paint are also really fun, but again, keep it simple.

: Try not to get carried away. I know Alabama football is a lifestyle for a lot of students, but wacky hats, crazy outfits, and excessive houndstooth are just not fashionable. You may get on the JumboTron, but trust me, it’ll be for all the wrong reasons.