Students frustrated after getting standing-room only tickets for Michigan game

University of Alabama students packed into the Coleman Coliseum ticket office today hoping to get one of only 800 student tickets to Saturday’s football game against Michigan in Dallas.

Many students who had already purchased tickets online left frustrated and disappointed after receiving a “Spirit Pass,” a standing-room only ticket at a discounted $35.

UA News sent out an e-mail on Aug. 24, stating that there were 800 tickets available to students, “far below the allotment that The University of Alabama normally provides its students for road games.”

“We sent an email to students on Friday, with the details of the distribution process, including how many $50 tickets were available and why, and the alternative option – the $35 spirit pass tickets, which the athletics department negotiated with Cowboys representatives so more students could attend,” the University said in a news release. “Students that received spirit pass tickets will receive a refund reflecting the difference in price.”

Miles Hutcherson, a senior majoring in computer science, arrived with a group of friends around 7:15 a.m., anticipating the crowd. He received the e-mail, but didn’t understand why it was first-come, first-serve.

He estimated there were hundreds of people in front of him and noticed many cutting in front of his group. There were about 10 people in front of him when the line was cut off, and an employee announced they were out of tickets.

“I have missed out on two national championships as well as many other road games in my time here and have been patiently waiting for my time to get road tickets, which I thought was this year,” Hutcherson said. “Once the ticket office found out only 800 people would get physical seats, why not divide up the hours again? Everyone above 80 hours gets seats, the rest get standing room, this is not rocket science.”

Jake Powell, a senior majoring in political science, said he thought tickets were first-come, first-serve when he bought his in May but didn’t expect that process to extend to ticket pick-up.

Powell said he understood that the crowd was a difficult situation to deal with, but that it should have been handled differently.

“If we have a confirmation e-mail, shouldn’t we be able to get what we were promised? I think that it could have been handled better.” Powell said. “First-come, first-serve is understandable. But for those of us that have already paid for the tickets and just need to pick them up, that’s not right. And that’s where I think the real problem is.”

Drew Bridges, a sophomore majoring in accounting and finance and a Dallas native, camped out with friends all night, but said the crowd began assembling around 5 a.m. Bridges was one of the first to receive a ticket.

“We brought a couple lawn chairs and some homework, trying not to think about the time,” Bridges said.“You might as well kick the season off right in Dallas.”

Hutcherson chose to take a standing room pass and receive a $15 credit on his student account, but said he is considering canceling his hotel reservation. The ticket might be worth more than the hassle of a standing room-only crowd, he said.

“The e-mail sent out by the ticket office informing students of the changes did not accurately portray what “Spirit Passes” are,” Hutcherson said. “Spirit Passes are general admission standing room within Cowboys Stadium.  They have extremely limited field view and also have limited access to concessions and restrooms.”

The passes are for viewing platforms located at each end zone. According to the Dallas Cowboys Stadium official website, the platforms are outdoor plazas with television monitors.

Once on the plaza, fans can pass through retractable glass doors onto a platform to view the field below.