Tide volleyball ready for 2012 challenges

When the 2012 Alabama volleyball team takes the court for the first time, the new starters won’t be the only thing that has changed about the Crimson Tide. The team has a new attitude, senior Kayla Fitterer said.

“Our attitude is going to be the difference for us this year,” Fitterer said. “The girls coming in only know winning, and that’s going to carry over to the girls returning. That confidence coming in is really going to help us.”

The Tide will feature nine new players from transfers and incoming freshman, giving the team a complete overhaul from the 2011 team that finished with a 11-20 record. Bringing in so many players can create a lack of chemistry and cohesiveness amongst a team, but head coach Ed Allen took steps to prevent those obstacles from popping up.

Allen took the team on a retreat to Shocco Springs, Ala., giving the girls time to practice and get to know each other.

“Anytime we bring in a substantial number of players, we always look for a way for them to bond,” Allen said. “The retreat was exactly that. They had a chance to practice in the morning and do some team building activities in the afternoon.”

Youth and inexperience can be both a gift and a curse. On one hand, there is the lack of knowledge of the game and familiarity with big time SEC games. On the other hand, players are more eager to learn and open to criticism. The Tide are hoping the latter is the truth.

“We’re a young team, and that’s a great thing because we’re excited to just get back on the court,” senior Leigh Moyer said. “We’re so excited to play a real team and compete against other players.”

The youth provides the Tide with something it hasn’t had in recent years, depth. Last season, an injury to star Kayla Fitterer hurt the team. This season, the Tide is prepared for it.

“We’re deeper than we’ve been in all of the years I’ve been here,” Moyer said. “We have a ton of talent that is ready to step in and play or come off the bench. This is a good group.”

Moyer is one of two seniors on the team, along with Fitterer. Both realize their leadership will be key to the team’s success, and both realize their off-the-court relationship will help teammates gain chemistry.

“Fitt and I are quite the duo,” Moyer said. “We’re sisters, and it’s been great having her. Our chemistry is going to help the other girls. We’re very easy to talk to and always willing to help.”

“This is going to be our fourth year together, so any time you have chemistry like that, it’s beneficial to the team,” Fitterer said.

SEC play plagued Alabama last season as the team limped to a 4-16 finish in the conference. Fitterer pointed to the team’s attitude as one of the biggest reasons for the Tide’s struggle. She said that won’t happen this season.

“We’re definitely more prepared now than we were this time last year,” Fitterer said. “We have nine new girls, and we got rid of some girls. Our returners, along with the new girls, have such better attitudes compared to last year.”

Alabama opens the 2012 season in Worcester, Mass. in the Beanpot Classic.