UA grad competes in top 20 of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ on Fox

Having made it to the top 20 in FOX’s hit show “So You Think You Can Dance,” Janelle Issis may think she can dance, but her advisors and peers say they know she can.

Issis, a University of Alabama graduate, competes weekly in the ninth season of the show and has currently made it through the first round of eliminations in the top 20. Isis has performed twice as part of the top 20, first performing an African jazz choreographed piece, and in the next episode, a hip-hop dance, according to FOX’s website.

“I think her strength is being able to adapt,” Cornelius Carter, director of the dance program at UA, said. “That’s the hardest thing that comes along with this field – when you have to be able to do ballet, modern, jazz, ballroom – and not everybody is able to adapt.”

Carter worked with Issis for the four years she was at UA and said she was dedicated to the curriculum.

“She came in with very little training,” Carter said. “She’s a perfect example of someone who came in and really took advantage of the dance curriculum that was offered to her. It was really challenging, but she stuck with it.”

Carter said he knows what he asks of the students is quite demanding, but he wants the dance majors to be able to leave and be “on top of their game.” He said Issis did just that.

“She was really willing to fight for her position,” he said. “She earned her space.”

Carter said it is Issis’ drive that has gotten her this far.

“What I look for in students, it’s not about who’s the best at that time, it’s about who comes in with that drive. Especially when you start to compete at that level. These are some of the best dancers in the country. You’re talking about thousands and thousands of people who audition.”

Rachel Childers, a sophomore at UA, has danced with Issis at the Encore Performance Company and performed in several dances choreographed by her for Encore.

Childers said she has learned a lot from Issis, especially her expertise: Belly dancing.

“She is a phenomenal belly dancer, and she is always wiling to pass on her knowledge of the style to others. I learned how to shake my hips in ways I didn’t think possible.”

Issis chose belly dancing for her audition in Atlanta, and FOX’s website features her signature belly dance moves.

Childers also pointed to Issis’ dedication and said she was inspiring to work with.

“Her strength is always dedicating herself to the story of her dances. She is extremely inspiring.”

Holly Gray, a senior dance major, met Issis during her freshman year at the University.

“She definitely took on a mentor role, and she pushed me to my personal limits,” Gray said. “I’ve never met someone to push me the way she did.”

Issis also introduced Gray to belly dancing.

“She opened me up to the world of belly dancing, which gave me an appreciation for a completely different style,” Gray said. “She showed me what drive was all about and having such dedication to your passion. She showed me that with that, you can achieve whatever you want.”

Carter agreed.

“The sky really is the limit for Janelle at this moment,” he said. “After you get that national recognition, God knows where she can end up.”