Tide places 87 students athletes on SEC Academic Honor Roll

The University of Alabama placed 87 student-athletes from nine different teams on the Southeastern Conference’s Spring Academic Honor Roll, the league office announced Monday.

The Crimson Tide’s 2012 NCAA Champion softball team had 14 players named to the list, including the Women’s College World Series Most Outstanding Player Jackie Traina. The 2012 NCAA national champion women’s golf team had six student-athletes on the honor roll, including Honda Award winner and the 2012 Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year Brooke Pancake. The men’s golf team, which finished as the NCAA champion runner-up, also had six golfers honored.

The women’s track and field team led the way for the Tide with 20 honorees. Rowing had 11 members on the honor roll while 10 members of the baseball team were honored. The men’s track team had nine members on the honor roll, and men’s and women’s tennis saw five and six members earn honors, respectively.

To earn a place on the honor roll, a student-athlete must earn a 3.0 or better grade point average for either the preceding academic year or their career and be a sophomore or better in academic standing. The spring list honors those student-athletes that participate in baseball, men’s and women’s golf, rowing, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s and women’s track and field. A total of 1,038 SEC student-athletes earned the honor during the spring season.

The Tide had 56 and 48 student-athletes named to the SEC Fall and Winter Academic Honor Rolls, respectively, giving Alabama a total of 191 upperclassmen on the honor roll for the 2011-12 academic year.