Paine comes home with All-American honors

Chris Donahue(c)

EDITOR’S NOTE: ALEXIS PAINE IS A SPORTS REPORTER AND ALSO A MEMBER OF THE ALABAMA TRACK & FIELD TEAM.

As I stepped onto the track at Drake University, an overwhelming rush hit me. There were so many amazing athletes surrounding me, including my four teammates. Our five-month season and two semesters of training had led us here: the NCAA Track and Field National Championships.

This year, the Crimson Tide overcame obstacles to bring Tuscaloosa four national titles, and the five of us participating in the track championship wanted to do our part in representing the Tide. We were determined to give the competition all we had.

After two days of practice and sitting around the hotel anticipating the start of the meet, Wednesday rolled around. The first two events on Alabama’s list were the women’s pole vault, my event, and men’s long jump in which Kamal Fuller was participating. The nerves crept up on me, and I could feel my legs getting weaker and weaker as the warm up began. Once I cleared the first bar, I thought my nerves had settled. That is, until I missed my first two attempts at the next bar set at 13’4. I knew it was over, but I put everything I had into the last jump and cleared the bar. All that was inside me dropped. I was so relieved.

As I waited for my next jump, Kamal took his first two attempts across the field. A red F appeared on the scoreboard after each jump. Fouls. He had his third jump left, but I was up to vault at the same time. I knew I needed to redeem myself after the last height; I wanted to make everyone rooting for me proud. I cleared 13’7 on my first attempt, and Kamal made it into the finals with his third jump. I went on to clear 13’9. Unfortunately, I didn’t clear the next bar, and I was sure I had come in 9th or 10th, just missing the awards’ stand.  As the group of vaulters walked off the track, my coach held up eight fingers, and I knew I had made it to the podium and earned All-American honors.

Kamal also placed eighth with a long jump of 25’2. He received his award before the vaulters were announced. When he came off the stand and saw me, I saw his half smile and preparation for an unforgettable hug.  He picked me up and neither of us could stop smiling. He had just added an All-American award to his collection of two, and I had received my first.

For the next two days my nerves leapt every time one of my teammates attempted a cross bar or cleared a hurdle. Kaylon Eppinger began the heptathlon Thursday morning, and she was determined to perform her best for her last NCAA meet. She worked through struggles during the seven events throughout the two days and represented the Tide to the fullest. Tyler Campbell also competed in the high jump Thursday. We all thought he had a clearance at 7’2.5 until his calf clipped the bar on his way down. Disappointment filled his face, but he was so proud to have competed in the national meet in crimson and white. Krystle Schade high jumped Friday and represented the Tide in a performance that placed her 4th with a new outdoor personal best of 6’1.5.

Throughout the week, the five of us spent all of our time together and watched each other achieve goals. We also watched as LSU and Florida won the women and men’s team championships, respectively. I think it all made us want to hold one of the giant trophies the teams received after the competition. Hopefully, all of the talented freshmen under the talented coaching staff will be able to propel the team to a national championship in the future.