Festival season open in Alabama

As summer kicks into full swing, some students choose to venture home, study abroad or stay in Tuscaloosa. If Alabama is where you will be spending the next two months, the state offers a variety of festivals as fun weekend alternatives.

Magic City Brewfest, Birmingham – Sponsored by Free the Hops, a grassroots nonprofit organization striving to bring high quality beers to Alabama, Magic City Brewfest will be celebrating its sixth year as a festival at Sloss Furnace. The weekend is dedicated to learning about craft beers and sampling products from local breweries in Alabama. The festival will feature over 200 individual beers, including rare brands not sold in Alabama, and live music. Cost: $33-83 Date: June 1-2

The Preserve Jazz Festival, Birmingham – Alabama offers its own celebration of soulful music and bluesy tunes with The Preserve Jazz Festival, an outdoor jazz festival featuring renowned artists such as Kirk Whalum, Eric Darius, Alex Bugnon and Keith Williams. Bring your own chairs, food and beverages or purchase a snack from local vendors while enjoying the music. Cost: $40 Date: June 3

Gadsden’s Riverfest – Started in 1986, this once-local entertainment event now draws thousands each year to the stages. From classic rock, rap, country and rhythm and blues, this music festival appeals to a wide audience. Past performers have included Martina McBride, The Beach Boys and Gin Blossoms, and this year’s lineup features Jamey Johnson, The Oak Ridge Boys, Lou Gramm and more. Cost: $25-35 Dates: June 8-9

Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival, Foley – Presented by Tanger Outlets, this festival showcases over 50 hot air balloons from across the United States. Festival attendees can meet the pilots of the balloons during the day and watch the balloons light up the summer skies during nightly balloon glows. Additional festival activities include live music from rock ‘n’ roll bands, Disc Connected K-9 Frisbee Dog Show, a children’s village and an arts and crafts exhibit. Cost: Free Dates: June 15-17

Alabama Blueberry Festival, Brewton – This festival not only celebrates the delicious and healthy goodness packed in each little berry, but also provides a day full of activities for attendees to enjoy. In addition to buying freshly picked Alabama blueberries or your own blueberry bush, festivalgoers can sample blueberry ice cream, tour an antique car show, take a picture with Ronald McDonald and watch a motorcycle show and rally. Cost: Free Date: June 16

First Fridays in Florence – From March to December, historic downtown Florence is filled with art, live music and shopping for families and locals of North Alabama. Two blocks of the downtown area are closed off for the pedestrian-friendly activities. Regardless of rain or shine, the event will go on as scheduled to showcase the talents of the Shoals. Cost: Free Dates: June 1, July 6