Alabama baseball wins season finale, 6-4

The Alabama baseball team won its season finale Saturday against the Georgia Bulldogs, 6-4. With the win, Alabama improved to 21-34 on the season, its worst record since 1994.

Georgia jumped onto the scoreboards first, scoring off an RBI single in the top of the first inning. The Bulldogs extended its lead in the third, when Alabama starting pitcher Charley Sullivan gave up two earned runs off three hits to put the score at 3-0.

Alabama was finally able to rebound in the bottom of the fourth inning when Austen Smith got the team’s first hit of the day with an RBI single, scoring Ben Moore from second. Alabama tied the game in the next inning, after a two-RBI double from senior Jared Reaves that scored seniors Jon Kelton and Hunter Gregory.

After a scoreless sixth, Georgia regained the lead in the seventh when Jared Walsh reached base on a fielder’s choice single, scoring teammate Hunter Cole.

Alabama was able to rebound again, this time in the bottom of the eighth. Reaves started the inning with a single, and advanced to second when Moore grounded out to third base. After another single from Smith that advanced Reaves to third, Georgia relief pitcher Pete Nagel walked Brett Booth, loading the bases for the Tide with only one out. After a Josh Rosecrans pop out, senior James Tullidge stepped up to the plate. Nagel threw a wild pitch, scoring Reaves and tying the game at 4. Tullidge walked, and Kelton gave Alabama the permanent lead with a two-RBI single, giving Alabama the win.

Kelton said his game-winning single was one of his all-time favorite hits at Alabama.

“Even though it’s been a bad year, that’s up there with some of the years of getting big hits in regionals,” Kelton said. “That’s just a great moment that I’ll never forget.”

Taylor Dugas said he was happy his teammate could end his career with one more highlight.

“Glad to win the last game, for us seniors, it was just a huge win. We wanted to go out with that winning feeling,” Dugas said. “I was just so excited when I saw Kelton get the big hit right there, and put us ahead. He’s been here longer than me, five years, and I was just real excited for him.”

Redshirt freshman Jay Shaw earned the victory for the Tide, coming in the seventh inning and giving up zero hits, zero runs and walking one batter. He pitched 1.3 innings. Trey Pilkington earned the save.

Head coach Mitch Gaspard said he was happy the seniors could end their careers on a winning note.

“A good way for our seniors to go out,” Gaspard said. “Overall, certainly the last two nights, certainly some good things happened, and I’m just happy for our seniors, we get to leave today on a good note after a win.”

Dugas, who finished the day 0-for-3 with a walk, finished his career as the all-time leader in career hits (334), singles (235), doubles (67), and triples (18). Dugas finished in the top-10 in 14 different statistical categories at Alabama during his four-year career, including third in runs with 232.

Still, Dugas seemed not to mind this final outing too much.

“It would have been nice to get a hit,” Dugas said. “But I’ll take an 0-for-3 with the win today, so that really doesn’t bother me too much.”