Dugas breaks career hits record in 3-2 loss to Mississippi State

Despite only allowing three hits, Alabama dropped game two of its series with Mississippi State 3-2 on Saturday at Sewell-Thomas Stadium.

With the loss, Alabama falls to 17-30 and 6-17 in Southeastern Conference play while the Bulldogs improve to 29-17 and 12-11 in the SEC.

Freshman Jon Keller (1-5), in his seventh start of the season, pitched a career-high 7.0 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on just three hits with five strike outs. Evan Mitchell (2-1) earned the victory for the Bulldogs, pitching 1.1 innings of middle relief without allowing a hit or a run.

“On the mound we did a really good job today,” head coach Mitch Gaspard said. “Jon Keller did a really good job, and then Jake Hubbard came up with two good innings. Our young guys certainly did a good job and did their part to give us a chance to win.”

The loss was not all bad for the Crimson Tide. Center fielder Taylor Dugas set the all-time career hits record with 323, going 2-for-5 with an RBI double. Dugas broke the record on a bunt single in the fifth inning.

Dugas broke Alabama’s hitting coach Andy Phillips’ 13-year record and also owns the record for most singles (226), doubles (67) and triples (16) in Alabama history.

“He’s just the epitome of consistency,” Phillips said. “I’ve been fortunate to work with him for the past two years and to see how hard he works and what he puts into his craft. It’s much deserved and I told him I was proud of him.”

Dugas also took part in graduation ceremonies prior to the game, earning his degree in general health studies. In addition to Dugas, Josh Rosecrans, Brandt Hendricks and Jason Zylstra each earned their respective degrees while student coaches Josh Sanders and Adam Pavkovich also earned degrees.

“It was nice to graduate today and to be done with school,” Dugas said. “You never want to lose though, but the record is a nice accomplishment and it’s great to be mentioned with guys like Andy Phillips and other greats.”

The Tide outhit the Bulldogs for a second consecutive day, with eight hits to the Bulldogs three, but was unable to capitalize. Alabama left nine runners on base throughout the day, including a bases loaded situation in the fifth that earned no runs. The Tide was 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position.

“Offensively, it has kind of been the same story throughout the year, we just have not been able to do enough to generate offense,” Gaspard said. “It is tough to win SEC games when you are scoring one and two runs in back-to-back nights. We have got to find a way to get more runs.”

The series between Alabama and Mississippi State will continue on Sunday with first pitch scheduled for 1:05 p.m. at Sewell-Thomas Stadium.