Tide falls 3-1 to Bulldogs in series opener

The Alabama baseball team dropped the series opener to Mississippi State Friday, 3-1, despite a late game rally. Alabama remains at the bottom of the SEC rankings after the loss, all but ending the Crimson Tide’s hopes of advancing to the SEC tournament.

“Going in, we knew tonight that it would be a low scoring game with Christ Stratton on the mound,” Alabama head coach Mitch Gaspard said.

Freshman pitcher Spencer Turnbull started the game after throwing seven no-hit innings in Alabama’s game against No. 4 South Carolina last week. Turnbull allowed three runs in five innings during Friday night’s game.

The Bulldogs scored its first run of the game in the top of the 4th inning. Designated hitter Trey Porter made it to first base after being hit by a pitch. Turnbull threw a wild pitch, allowing Porter to advance to second and then baulked sending Porter to third. Porter was able to score on a ground out by Daryl Norris, giving him his 21st RBI of the season.

The Tide struggled again through the top of the 5th with Tyler Fullerton hitting a double to start off the inning. The second batter, Sam Frost hit a single to right field. Alabama second baseman Kenny Roberts overthrew catcher and Fullerton was able to advance to third while Frost advanced to second on the throw. Frazier recorded his 19th RBI of the season after hitting a single that sent Fullerton home.

Backup pitcher Chazz Otwell entered the game in the 6th inning and recorded four strikeouts on the night, a career high for the sophomore.

“Sparks fly at the end of the game,” Otwell said. “I knew if I kept it close, we would probably have a chance to win it. I went out and knew I needed to throw strikes.”

Otwell allowed one hit and no runs during the three innings he pitched.

Alabama managed 11 hits on the night but the Tide scored its first and only run in the 8th inning. Taylor Dugas led off the inning with a single and made it home on a single hit by Ben Moore, giving Moore his 28th RBI of the season.

Alabama attempted a late rally in the ninth inning, which ended in two runners stranded on base. James Tullidge grounded into a double play ending the inning and the night for the Tide.

Mississippi State pitcher, Chris Stratton, claimed the win in the loss, bringing his record to 9-0 this season. This game drops Alabama’s record to 6-16 in the SEC. Mississippi State moved to 11-11 in the SEC.

The Tide and the Bulldogs face off again Saturday at 2:05 pm at Sewell-Thomas Stadium.