Take your coffee with less fat, more health benefits

MCT

As college students, we are keenly aware of our need for caffeine. We run on near-to-no sleep and have an overloaded to-do list Monday through Friday. Soft drinks, energy drinks or tea can serve us in our time of need, but coffee seems to be at the top of the leader board when choosing our caffeine fix for the day.

And this is a good thing! The coffee bean packs some pretty powerful health benefits. With no fat and only two calories per eight-ounce serving of black coffee, it is a sensible beverage choice any time of the day. It is also one of the most potent antioxidants, protecting our cells from damage and helping to prevent chronic diseases.

That being said, an excess of coffee concoctions have been created on the market that pack on extra toppings, flavors and creams, consequently packing on fat and calories.

It’s hard to navigate these menus; each filled with an extensive list of “mocha-frappe-cappuccinos.” A lack of education on this topic can lead to an excessive intake of calories and subsequent unwanted weight gain for the average consumer.

However, there are healthy choices available at these restaurants that maintain flavor without adding unwanted calories. Dr. Oz promotes four coffee choices from popular chain restaurants Starbucks, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts and Au Bon Pain to satisfy your caffeine craving and maintain your weight.

1) Choose the “Mocha Frappuccino Light” from Starbucks. A tall size of this drink carries only 110 calories and one gram of fat. It has a chocolate taste preferred by those with a sweet tooth.

2) Choose the “McCafe Caramel Mocha” from McDonalds. A small size of this drink has 175 calories and three grams of fat. Be proactive and ask for half skim milk and half whole milk to slash even more calories.

3) Choose the “Iced Coffee with a Turbo Shot” from Dunkin Donuts. This drink has the lowest amount of calories of all four choices, ringing in at 35 calories and one gram of fat for a small-sized drink. This is the perfect choice for late night studiers or those struggling to wake up in the morning, as it comes with a shot of espresso for added energy. This drink is not as sweet as the others, so add a packet of Splenda or Stevia if you want added sweetness.

4) Lastly, choose the Au Bon Pain Cappuccino from Au Bon Pain. This authentic tasting cappuccino has 120 calories and seven grams of fat for a small. Once again, for a sweeter taste, add one packet of Splenda or Stevia.

A little research and education can go a long way in helping you make smart choices away from home. Each of these restaurants provides the nutritional information for all of their menu items. If one of the four options mentioned above doesn’t appeal to you, look up other healthy options on your own. The most important thing to remember is to minimize fat and calories to ward off unwanted weight gain while still getting the powerful health benefits of this potent bean.